Posts by Foxicakes

If it is Nestle, then it is just really vanilla flavored chips. The only supermarket brand white chocolate "chips" that I have found is Ghirardelli, meaning that they have cocoa butter in them. Baker's white chocolate is real white chocolate too (again, meaning that it has a percentage of cocoa butter)As to the melting it, I do mine in the microwave at 20 to 30 second intervals. Microwave then take it out and stir with a rubber spatula, keep doing this until it is almost...
You definitely have the determination that it takes to pull this off!! So, good luck to you. Also, you mentioned using Pilsbury and Betty Crocker mixes for the cake. Might I suggest that at the very least, you do yourself a favor and use a "doctored" cake mix for this cake? ( I mean besides the family secret ingredient that you already mentioned...) A doctored mix will make the cake more dense and therefore more stable and able to hold up to all of the weight that several...
Yes, you can. As a matter of fact, I too, was just looking up chocolate buttercream frosting recipes and found several that called for melted chocolate. If you don't find a recipe you like here on CC, try looking on Cooks.com.
Would it be possible to convince this bride to "settle" for buttercream with some fondant accents? I would just explain to her that with SUCH short notice that MMF would be extremely difficult for you to accomplish, especially since it is not your preferred medium to work with. Further, I agree with the others that if she wants a grand wedding cake, that you add a 16 inch dummy tier as the base and then do a 12, 8, and 6 inch real cake. Sure it would give you another tier...
Tarabara, I THINK that the technique that cakeyouverymuch has so beautifully executed on her cakes is called "Bas Relief". If you Google "bas relief cakes" you can see several photos of the technique and there may even be a tutorial or two...
LOL!! Well...after you have sufficiently "buried your face in it", if it just so happens that I, along with many others were wrong in our estimation of it edibility, I guarantee you that it will NOT take a "couple of days" for you to find out!! More like a couple of hours!! Which is another dead give away for a diagnosis of food poisoning. It pretty much hits you immediately.Anyway, good luck. Though I don't think you'll need it. Just enjoy your cake...
I, too, would eat it. The custard was cooked, to a temperature hot enough to destroy any bacteria in the eggs (also known as pasteurization). Plus, you are right about sugar and citric acid being preservatives. Further, it's not as if your kitchen was 90 degrees, it was 60 degrees and bacteria needs a warm temperatures (close to body temps) to grow. So, go and enjoy your delicious cake!!
PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED by what I'm about to say. I've looked at your photos of your other cakes and they are all done beautifully!! That being said, I'm sure I won't be popular on the forum for this, but...I don't think I would have been happy with the cake either. To me, it DOES look a little "off". The center tier is smooshed a little on the right hand bottom side and IMO I think that the fondant ribbons on the presents could have been done a little differently. I...
I agree with the poster that brought up the fact that there is a substantial markup on car washes and oil changes. I happen to know someone in the same business and each wash costs them less than $1 for the Super Duper wash!! Not to mention the fact that if you accept their gift cards it could take MONTHS, if not YEARS to use them up. Further, if YOUR suppliers won't take these gift cards to pay for the supplies that you need to make this monstrosity, then HOW, pray tell,...
Have you considered possibly using edible image strips in place of the actual stenciling? OR another very pretty alternative would be to use a damask "stamp" so that you can emboss the fondant with the print and then come back and hand paint the image into the embossed area.I just think that either of those suggestions would be easier to pull off than doing the stenciling with a dark purple royal. I mean, if you were doing something monochromatic, I think it may be a...