Posts by Foxicakes

There have been several beautiful cakes that I have seen that have this pearlescent coating on the fondant. Sometimes the entire cake has it, sometimes it it just a few of the accents while the rest of the cake is a flat white. I always assumed that this was done with luster dust that had been mixed with alcohol. However when I was checking out the cake design store, globalsugarart.com, I found this Glitter Piping Gel in several different colors, like silver and pearl. ...
Okay, so here's the thing... I think my reaction would have been something along the lines of " Well, you see, Larry (insert correct butt-head's name here) even though I don't have my own shop I do consider myself somewhat a professional. I do not use icing from buckets from the grocery store. However, I am sure that if you take your design to the "professionals" at Wal-mart, they carry that icing in 50 pound buckets and I am sure that they would be HAPPY to accommodate...
Thank you everyone!! That makes me AND my pocketbook feel so much better!! I would be interested in knowing what I could "add" to the chalk to make it more like luster dust. Any suggestions?
I was watching a YouTube video produced by Wilton Co. and in this video, the "expert", Nancy, showed where she ground up regular artistic chalk and used it the same way one would use petal dust, brushing it on flowers and then putting those on top of a cake.Soooo....my question is, to all of you experts out there, what exactly is the main ingredient in petal dust? Is it the same as chalk? And, if not, CAN chalk be used like petal dust for gumpaste flowers? I just think...
Thanks for all of the help. I actually followed the recipe from the recipe forum on here. I ended up adding a box of sugar free jello white chocolate pudding mix and whipped it into the mix. I let it set in the fridge and apparently that worked. It is now an extremely delicious filling.Again, thanks to everyone. I really appreciate the help!!Desiree
It was 1 quart of heavy cream to 1 lb (16 oz...it comes 12oz to a bag, so I had to add 4 1oz cubes of Baker's white chocolate) of white chocolate, then about 1Tbs of extract for flavoring. I followed all of the directions as per the recipe (from the CakeCentral site). And, AFTER I made it and had this issue, I re-read the comments on the recipe and saw that the only other person that tried it had the same issue and could not use it on the cake. I have made sure that the...
UGH!! I am totally frustrated!! I am making the recipe White Chocolate Rum Whipped Ganache and cannot seem to get it to "whip to stiff" so I can use it as a filling in my cake. It is just the same consistency of the heavy cream, but maybe a little heavier. Some foam on top, but definitely not whipped!! Can someone please help me??