Posts by bbouyer

When we needed donations for our food booth at the school, we took in a request letter with a letterhead and a tax id number that outlined what items we needed, what the event was and what the proceeds were for. Most large chains (WalMart, Brookshires, Albertsons, Home Depot) have a request folder at the front desk. I usually would call back and check in, the store would issue a gift certificate. I seemed to have better luck at the beginning of the month.Local bakeries...
Audrey, ty! I found a set of five 2" pans for just under $70.00 at Global Sugar Art. I'm looking forward to trying these out.Myra, your cake is very nice, I do like those sizes together. Thank for sharing.
I attatched a picture but it didn't take. I apologize, I hope this works. She found it on Vibrant Bride.http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/DaughterRhonda/SunnySunflower.jpg
She told me about 100 guests would be attending. Even if they save the 6", add in the groom's cake and either option will feed the guests. (Also having a dessert table).I don't have a 9" pan or I would definately do the 12",9" & 6". I was just wondering if the 4" ledge would be to much so I'm glad to hear you've seen this done and like it.Thank you very much.
Howdy. I have a wedding cake for my ex brother-in-law this weekend and the bride asked for a round tiered cake with sunflowers and daisies. Other than that I have free reign.I planned on just doing a 10", 8", & 6" but I've become quite a bit more comfortable with stacking and fondant covering and what once seemed like a huge project doesn't anymore. The cake even seems a bit small to me?I have read that a lot of ya'll like to have a three inch ledge but the only pan...
I'm still "newish" to cakes so I don't have experience with a lot of the different products.I tried the Duff fondant out on the Hollywood black, red & white cake in my pics. It does get pretty soft and stretchy. After I microwave it and knead it, I let it sit for a bit. I had a hard time getting a fondant smoother over it also, it kept sticking and pulling. The end result was pretty and it is yummy, just a little extra effort.We only have the red, black, white, pink...
Christina, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wonder if every flaw stands out as glaringly to the people I make them for as they do to me. I started out with the Wilton figurine pans about three years ago but just tried stacking tiers last Spring. Fondant is pretty new to me, I've been working with it since October? Right now I just use the Wilton and have tried out the Duff brand. I have issues with my hands and don't think I can mix my own batches easily but...
I guess this was need to know information - I provide desserts for a local restaraunt and in return he lets me work from his kitchen. I do store the cakes at home until they are delivered. I'm not sure that I would need a liscense when working in a certified kitchen but I will definately look into that. I'm not directly in the DFW area, I'm in a smaller city to the west and it seems like the going rate is $3.50 - $5 per serving. My main concern, is my quality of work...
Howdy. I've been lurking here for quite some time admiring everyone's work. I just recently started working with fondant, and since then, have been asked to make more cakes than I can handle alone. My problem is, 1. the pricing2. I don't have too much confindence in my work after seeing what some of ya'll can doI feel uncomfortable asking for large payments on cakes when I don't have too much experience. If a few of you wouldn't mind just taking a look at my work I...