Posts by jamsie

I have tried rolling out my crappy MMF three times and no matter how much cornstarch I use to keep it from sticking to the counter, it just sticks and tears and it's making me insane. This cake is due TODAY and I don't have enough supplies or time to make another batch!!! I've been up all night long and I'm ready to pull my hair out.I've tried adding corn syrup (because I don't have glucose and I think it's the same thing) and nothing works. NOTHING. HELP!
I just made this stuff last week for a cake and now I have no idea where I put the recipe and I looked through 30 pages of buttercream recipes on here to find it. I could've sworn it was by indydebi, but the only one of hers I found included Dream Whip. I know the one I have is like half Crisco, half butter or margarine, vanilla, and a ton of powdered sugar (maybe 2 pounds?) No milk or anything. It's pretty easy, but I don't want to guess on the amounts. Anyone know?(I'm...
...to know that you've mixed in enough powdered sugar?I made a batch and a half of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and I can never tell if I've mixed in enough powdered sugar. I know the original recipe calls for up to 7 cups, and because I made 50% more, I figured it would take about 10 cups. I'm at about 8 1/2 and it seems like if I try to knead more in, it seems like it wants to be flakey. However, when I stop and coat it with the Crisco to wrap it in plastic wrap to sit, it...
Jennifer, yep, I'm just doing a ribbon. So that will be easy enough. And since it's going to only be two tiers, I think I'm just going to take each tier in a separate box and stack it there. I'm a wimp, too, lol. I did end up getting some Wilton plastic tube like dowels (which are probably the same size as bubble tea straws) since I read a couple posts where people said the wooden ones kind of leave that popsicle stick/tongue depressor taste in the cake sometimes. Saved me...
Thank you both SO much! I've done a couple of mmf-covered cakes in the middle of summer before, but it's just so hot here now with this heat wave, it makes me leery. I think I'm over-thinking it a bit and stressing because I don't want to let them down, but really they weren't going to have a cake at all until we talked about it. SO, I don't think anything will go too wrong, but if it does, I don't think they'll hate me forever. The thing that's really my first go in all...
I've been searching the forums for a few days now trying to piece together answers to all of my questions, and I'm finally just giving in and am going to bug all of you awesome people who have much more experience than me.My brother's wedding is Saturday. I agreed to make a small-ish cake for he and his bride to cut. They are serving cupcakes to the guests, so the cake, I assume, will just be for them to keep with tradition of cutting a cake and will probably go to the...
I've never used the Wilton chocolate melts for ganache; I wouldn't think that it would have the same flavor a regular ganache would have. Please post how it turns out.
I bought some of the Wilton's Gumpaste Mix tonight, but now I'm reading reviews where people have had nothing but problems with it. I don't mind using 100% gumpaste to make this, I just didn't know how fast I'd have to work to roll it out, cut the shape of the mask, cut the eye holes and the smaller holes as are in a hockey mask before it totally dried. And if I can paint it with gel colors once it's dry without them bleeding.
Is this made with the gumpaste mix or pre-made gumpaste? I guess I didn't think to ask how people combine that with MMF.
Anyone?