Posts by Kellig

I didn't say it was bad information. I didn't like it when a business tries to intimidate new competition (I have said this more than once and nobody wants to address this). I did not object to any of the informational comments. It was the remark "Undercutting the local bakeries in price is really, really, bad form. MATCH their prices."  Do you think that comment was a nice thing to say? Would you like somebody to talk to you like that... Especially the "MATCH" all in...
Woops, lost interest in this thread and didn't read the questions and comments directed towards me. I doubt anybody will see this but I decided to answer anyway. My post wasn't really about how much you should charge for your goods, it was because it offended me when Lea S. (sp?) made the remark to "Noob"    "Undercutting the local bakeries in price is really, really, bad form. MATCH their prices."   PAAAAALLLLLLEEEAASE!!! It annoys me when some try to...
Wow, I didn't realize that a cupcake had so much power.   Wal-Mart has a market and Macy's has theirs... Some people think that if they pay more for something it makes them "special"... You will always have the kind of people who are defined by their Coach purse. So the high end baker will always have their market.   For me it's about delivering such a beautiful cake to a precious little princess whose parents work hard for their money but would rather buy the...
Wow, this is great information! The cottage laws in Colorado are starting to get much more relaxed and I too am going to try and sell baked goods at my local FM. I have a different opinion about "Undercutting" local bakeries. I feel that this is America, and was built on free enterprise. Bakeries have an advantage over small home bakeries because of the volume they can produce. I wouldn't accuse a Bakery of trying to outsell me because they can bake more goods than I can....
Egg white is a great glue. It dries hard and fast.
As far as stepping on toes, a little competition never hurt anyone. If she can't stand the heat....  Go for it girl this is America, free enterprise and all that. As far as decorating out of your home, you said you only sale to friends and family right? I am sure it's fine.
LOL, this is a veeerrry old post, but if you haven't figured it out yet, I know what is most likely causing your problems. It happens when you use a powdered sugar that is made with beets (usually off brands) and not pure cane sugar. This will also make little sticky syrupy lumps in your fondant.
Oh my goodness sugarshack, your magnolia cake is so beautiful! I can't wait to try a magnolia like this one.
I wonder if all the people who are getting lumps are using the same brand, since a couple of you have said you tried a new brand this time???
I am new to this forum, so I don't know how experienced you are at making MM fondant, but do you sift your powdered sugar?