Posts by Jess155

So tell her that you can make an airplane that is based on that one (although not a painstakingly exact one where every single detail is measured), and skip the medals.  She can display the medals near the cake.  At some point the customer will not notice or care or be willing to pay for the mind-numbing processes we put ourselves through.  Finding an easier, more affordable solution makes your job easier and her wallet happier.   Edited to add: I'd love to know if...
Maybe I'll get jumped on for this, but $50 a slice is not a price that anyone would imagine regardless of TV shows.  A 9" cake with a gumpaste or RKT airplane shouldn't be anywhere near $1500.  Unless it's covered in gold.
#5  Don't quit a job until you have another one lined up.  In a down economy it's even harder to find a job when you have mulitple jobs in a short span of time, say 5 years, and gaps in your resume.  Even awful employment is better than unemployment.
Wow.  Ok.  DD is a DECORATIVE DECORATION meant to DECORATE things DECORATIVELY (is that a word? ;)).  No one is adding it as a secret ingredient, fooling people into consuming mass quantities of plastic.  Heaven forbid you should worry about something real.
The difference is soy is an ingredient.  It's not seen or expected in some foods.  DD is easily seen and easily removed when it's on a decoration.  It's easily avoidable.  Is this horse dead yet?
Some feel the onus is on the baker to make sure absolutely everything on or near the cake is edible.  What about the toothpicks in figures?  Wire and florist tape on gumpaste flowers?   Some feel the onus is on the customer.  If a person uses their eyes, they can plainly see what is and is not meant to be eaten.  One should not just jam everything into one's mouth thinking it's okay because it's near a food source.   Perhaps both sides have a point.  DD should be...
My husband works with a man who ordered a sandwich at a restaurant during a work-related dinner.  Everybody had a toothpick in their sandwich, but this man's toothpick did not have the little colored plastic thingy - it had fallen off.  So instead of using his brain, he bit into the sandwich.  Again, not using his brain, he continuted to chew (or not chew very well) with the toothpick in his mouth.  He then swallowed the toothpick and had to have it surgically removed. ...
    I'm not one to cover a cake in disco dust, I've never used it for anything but gumpaste decorations.  Having said that --   I think any person who takes a big bite of disco dust deserves the rainbow poo that will follow.  Most people don't eat the fondant or gumpaste anyway let alone when it's covered in sparkles.  Just like (most) people are responsible enough to take off the plastic flotsam that grocery stores throw on their cakes, most people (should) know that if...
How are prices from Ohio and Australia relevant to you in Ontario?  You all have different skill levels and different overhead costs.  OP if you don't know your costs, how should we?  It's not a difficult design requiring special work, just charge your normal price for a fondant cake per slice and your normal delivery fee. 
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Green-Holiday-Tree-Cake  -- Look at Step 5. Wow, that's it.  That seems like quite a silly thing, filling them with M&Ms.  Kids would love it though.