Posts by kger

My business is really teaching kids to decorate and doing birthday party entertainment., not baking. It's more cost effective for me to use Sam's stuff. I've spent the past 3 years doing everything from scratch and it's been expensive and no one ever requests anything other than plain yellow or chocolate anyway. And truly, once a cupcake has been rolled in sanding sugar, I think it's fairly disgusting and completely ruins my Sylvia Weinstock Classic Yellow.So, Sam's it...
X-posted in Cupcakes.I had an idea late last night while lying in bed and now I'm trying to figure out how to pull it off. My DAR chapter has a table at this particular street festival to try to raise money for our current project. (Happens to be preserving a 1 room schoolhouse). Last year I made 600 cake pops that were "free with donation". We couldn't outright sell last year because we didn't have proper permits. I don't have the time for cake pops this year and the...
I had an idea late last night while lying in bed and now I'm trying to figure out how to pull it off.My DAR chapter has a table at this particular street festival to try to raise money for our current project. (Happens to be preserving a 1 room schoolhouse). Last year I made 600 cake pops that were "free with donation." I don't have that kind of time this year and the ladies thought it would be a better idea to have a general bake sale. Yeah, this event is on Sunday...
I used Buttercream Dream not anticipating 75% humidity in Va this week. My octagon cake is now too soft and wont hold clear lines, so it looks more like a messy circle.I'm planning to scrape off all the buttercream dream and use the Wilton recipe or something. Is there anything else I should do to make sure I get clear crisp lines?
Anyone? Please? They are defrosting at this very moment.
I have a wedding cake for Friday. Total of 5 cakes with the groom's cake, so I've been working on them a little bit each day and have been storing everything in the freezer (after torting, filling, and crumb-coating). So tonight I got a little ahead of myself and added another (possibly final) layer of BC on the frozen-ish crumbcoated cakes. I can't really smooth them until they are completely defrosted, so what I'm wondering is how to store them for the next 3 days. ...
I met with a couple a few weeks ago for a tasting and the bride said she liked my cakes and we would be in touch. She is now requesting that I bake the cake using only 1/3 of the sugar and wants it to be more moist. We've been "arguing" back and forth over email and I have explained twice that I can not alter my recipes to remove 2/3 of the sugar because that is a flat bread and can not be torted to accommodate her 3 layers of fillings and so on. Does anyone know of any...
How would you package for 2 cupcakes going home as party favors? I typically use clamshells, but was thinking that boxes with inserts could probably be prettied up better than a clamshell. But the previous times I've tried the box and insert method, there was something about the inserts that didn't thrill me, like they would collapse or were too tall or something.
What temp are you baking at? If your temp is too high, it will rise to fast and then fall. And your oven temp could be off too. Try baking at 335 and see if that helps.
Try Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow recipe.