Posts by kmstreepey

It is so true that anyone can bake from scratch, though I do think you have to be a little more attentive and follow the instructions given. Box mixes are more than just the dry ingredients of a cake. They also include emulsifiers and preservatives to give them a longer shelf life and to make them pretty indestructible. That is what makes they easier - you can do nearly everything wrong and play with them a lot and they will almost always still turn out a cake. That is...
That does make sense, Maria, but I don't think that's it either. I keep my butter out overnight so it is really, really soft when I add it to the egg whites. I've never noticed any bits that aren't melted in.As for the eggs, I have overcooked mine before. It's sometimes hard to not get distracted! But, like with Springlakecake, the bumps appear only after it has been sitting for awhile and weren't there when I was icing or smoothing the cake.I'd do some experimenting...
Thanks, Mariacakestoo! Yes, it was for MisoBakes. Those challenges are so much fun for me because I don't really pipe very much or think to play around with the tips. For my cakes, I just put mine in the frig for awhile, then scrape with a hot bench scraper. The surface of this cake was very smooth, but the little bumps appeared a couple of hours after I was finished with the whole thing. It was still smooth the whole time I was doing the orange piping. But, like I...
You can see it in this picture if you look closely at the white right in the front. I know there is also a bigger air bubble to the right, but that isn't the "bumps" that we are talking about. Is this what yours looked like, Springlakecake? (If the link doesn't work, it's the orange and white cake in my photos. You can see the bumps better in the close-up picture.)http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2177462/2177463
I agree with Annie! A successful scratch cake should have a nice, soft texture and quite a few really do melt in your mouth. They can be wonderful! I love Shirley O'Corriher's book, BakeWise. She explains all of the different mixing techniques and how they effect the texture of the cake. She also gives examples of each so you can try it yourself without too much guesswork. For example, she will give one recipe three ways so you can try and compare. Rose Berenbaum's...
The best way to keep it from sticking is with cornstarch. For me, nothing has worked but that. As for the creasing at the bottom of the cakes, this takes practice. Just keep trying it! Here is what I've found that helps: roll out your fondant so that you have plenty of excess around the cake. Smooth from the top down and keep lifting the fondant to get it smooth all the way to the bottom of your cake. At the base of the cake, lift the fondant so that if it wants to...
There are very good reasons on either side of this debate - good reasons to use a box mix, like those given from everyone above, and good reasons to bake from scratch. I bake from scratch always because I personally prefer the taste of scratch cakes. I also like the baking and science part of caking just as much as the decorating. To me, it's all a part of the wonderful world of cakes. I really love developing recipes and getting them just right. I have developed a few...
I keep my nails short and unpolished just because it's easier, but I also have a scrub brush for cleaning under my nails when I wash my hands. I hate the idea of germs and stuff that get stuck under there and that doesn't come out with regular washing.
Mine were more like little bumps than holes or pock marks.As for the color, I have started using only candy colors (oil based) in my SMBC and have not had any problems since with streaking or with the colors in general.
I think I know what you are talking about - little tiny bumps all over the buttercream that appear awhile after you are done icing/smoothing. It almost looked like condensation on the surface of the cake, but it was just the icing itself. Is that it? This happened to me last week and was the first time. I used swiss meringue buttercream and it went on well. I smoothed with a hot bench scraper and it looked great. A couple of hours later (sitting at room temp), the...