Posts by kmstreepey

There are several "bake-off" threads on here for the best scratch cakes. I know I saw a white cake one several months ago and I'm pretty sure I saw a yellow cake one recently. That should give you somewhere to start. Just start trying some and see which you like. Also, the mixing method has a lot to do with the final texture, too.
I just got The Mat and have used it a couple of times with no problems at all. I seasoned it per the video instructions the first time. After each use, I roll the two together, taking care that no wrinkles get rolled in and that both stay flat and together. Like the one poster said, the wrinkles will stay if they are there when you roll the two sides up. I haven't had much of a problem with that, though. I use Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe and love, love, love the...
I agree that the candy melt method works great. I would also start with chocolate MMF - just sub in some cocoa for an equal amount of powdered sugar (1/4-1/2 cup).
I've read of people using a dehydrator to dry fondant/gumpaste faster. If your oven has a setting specifically for dehydrating, I think it would work. But I would try it first on something different just in case it has the opposite effect. That way you have time to air dry everything before you need them. Good luck!
It's not supposed to taste like cornbread. I've always thought of red velvet (it's my favorite!) as a buttermilk cake with a slight cocoa flavor and not super bright red. Sometimes you can get a cornbread texture with cake if it's not mixed properly.
True, that was my question to them, but I had just ordered a cake, so I think it was assumed that I was speaking about the cake I just ordered. Also, since I had just ordered it, I don't think there should have been a fear of me not ordering from them. I was just curious. And, honestly, I asked because it didn't say on their website (one sign that they don't bake from scratch) and because I'm thinking about opening my own shop and want to find ways to set myself apart...
I agree! This is why I am convinced it is a box - the aftertaste. It tastes like chemicals. I think that most people just get used to that taste and can no longer distinguish it as something different. Also, the icing on this particular cake was so thick (1/2 inch on the outside and it was only a 6-inch cake) that you could hardly taste the cake when eaten together. I tasted the cake by itself (that was why I bought it after all) and it had that chemical...
I agree about the vanilla. Also, if you are using slightly too much flour (based on the way you measure it), that can affect the flavor among other things. It will also affect the texture/performance of the recipe.
It's true, I don't really know. It is a hunch based on my experience with my own cakes and eating cakes I've known to be from a box, some of which I've made myself. I really want to believe the girl at the bakery. (I should also say this is a custom cake shop and the girl came straight from the back to take my order, so I would assume she knows what is actually going on in the kitchen.) I see your point about them not having to tell me anything at all, Carmijok. True....
I am doing some research of bakeries in my area for pricing, quality, etc. in order to see what competition is out there. I do not have a cake business but want to start researching the possibility of opening one in a couple of years. So, I ordered a cake from a well-known and well-liked bakery in a nearby town. When I ordered the cake in their shop, I asked specifically if they bake from scratch and the girl taking my order said "yes" without any hesitation at all.A...