Posts by kmstreepey

It does seem to be really needed out here! For me, it is a ways away bc I am now at home with 2 little ones. But for the future it is interesting to think about. I need to start saving now! I'm new to cake decorating and not too familiar with the laws yet since I don't sell my cakes right now. But it would be good to start a movement to change that law.
I am reading/studying an amazing book on this very topic. It is Bakewise by Shirley O'Corriher. It is really wonderful - great explanations of all the science that goes into baking. It explains the ratios, the effects of each ingredient, and how the ingredients relate to each other. A huge section at the beginning deals with cakes, but she also has great info on pastry and breads. I also have both of Alton Brown's books, but find Bakewise much more helpful with regard...
Thanks everyone! I knew of the Wilton store but was hoping for a store with products other than just those made by Wilton. Perhaps this is a business opportunity....
I am looking for a cake decorating and candy-making supply store in the western suburbs of Chicago and haven't been able to find anything but Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Are there any specialized stores out here? I have a hard time believing that there aren't, but am having no luck at all finding one. Please help!! Thank you!!
I am in the same boat! But I try to see all the mistakes as part of the fun because it teaches me to do a better job. And part of the fun of cake decorating is getting to try new things and figure things out. There are always so many more things to try and to master. The practice can be frustrating, though, for sure. It can be stressful to try to do things and not have them turn out as you envisioned. As for the practice cakes, I have offered some to a few close...
I'm not sure about the division of labor in your business or salary issues, having never owned a baking/decorating business myself. But I have worked on business litigation and contracts and would highly recommend getting all of your decisions in writing now, making your business agreement as detailed as possible. I've seen friends nearly come to blows over business disagreements and it will help you and your partner's business and personal relationship immensely if you...