Posts by kmstreepey

Oh, I was also going to say that for flavor, I try to use the best vanilla (homemade or NM vanilla bean paste) and butter (I use Kerrygold or Plugra). Also, for a chocolate cake, high quality cocoa and/or chocolate makes a difference. These won't affect the texture of the cake or the moisture level, though.
The best way to learn about ingredients and mixing technique (often the reason for one texture or another) is by reading about the science behind the ingredients and how they work together to create what you like. Then you can start with any recipe and manipulate it to be what you want. It's all about the balance between structure and what people perceive as tenderness. I highly recommend BakeWise by Shirley O'Corriher. If you are serious about creating a scratch...
Using shortening at this point will make it harder to use the smoother. You have to use cornstarch or powdered sugar. I use The Mat too and sometimes have this problem. I just try to use as little as possible. Then use the other tricks to get the cornstarch off afterwards.
Sounds like it was meant to be! That is really great! It also inspires me to at least start a conversation with someone. There is a little bake shop near me that does to-go baked items but no custom cakes, so I was thinking of approaching them about some sort of arrangement. Thanks for giving me something to think about! I do like your second choice of board better and I agree about the time/expense of doing a custom board for every cake. In the end, I don't think the...
Congrats on the kitchen space! Quick question - did you know this person beforehand or just approach someone? I was thinking that sort of arrangement would be ideal, but am not sure how to go about asking. I don't currently know anyone who would be in a position to provide such a space. So, I was just curious as to how you went about getting to that agreement.Also, you asked about the boards. This is just my opinion, but I think the exposed edges make the cake look...
Rubbing it with a small ball of leftover fondant sometimes works. I usually brush with a dry brush first to remove most of it, then buff with a fondant ball. If there are still marks, I use the shortening on a paper towel method as others have described.
I would increase the vanilla. Try using vanilla bean paste. It has a slightly richer flavor and I often use it in my own vanilla/white cake recipe. Otherwise I use homemade vanilla extract. I also use a tiny (1/8 tsp) of pure almond extract to enhance the flavor. It's not enough to add a distinct almond flavor but, rather, it adds a little boost to the overall flavor profile. I also have found that the butter used makes a slight difference. I use Kerrygold and I...
I have before and it is scrumptious. A good combo!
I bake a lot, always from scratch and usually my own recipes, but I love this red velvet cake from Cooking Light. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-raspberry-velvet-cake-10000000833335/ I was dubious at first, but it really tastes fantastic. It has a buttermilk flavor with a hint of cocoa and is very moist. I used less than half of the red coloring that was called for and it still had a satisfying red color (not super bright). Also, I don't use the frosting recipe...
I'm not sure the exact answer to this about the alcohol, but I do know you can use lemon juice instead of vodka. It also dries really quickly and you would have no issue at all with any alcohol. You wouldn't have to worry about it.