Posts by rockinbobbin

There seem to be many different techniques to do this.Here's the scoop - I am going to a dinner party where each couple brings a dish from another part of the world. My country is Morocco. I would also like to bring cookies decorated to look like Moroccan tiles. I was thinking of setting a "frame" around the cookie (on top of the stained glass) to look like a traditional moroccan door/window frame.So......I will most likely use black Royal Icing for the design base. ...
You all just don't know how awesome this forum is! I LOVE it when you get on your soapboxes about an issue you feel strongly about. I can read it, let the info (or opinion) sink in, and then take it or leave it. I can't wait to try some scratch recipies as I've been a box mix baker for family only. I am so ready to try new things and have fun in the kitchen. I wish I could have a master cake-baker/decorator by my side to teach me new tricks, but alas, that will never...
hi Supershifter.....I am pretty new to most of this, too. Everyone here is so helpful. Just keep trying and you'll learn so much!good luck.
I feel so silly asking, but I don't bake cupcakes very often. I would like to try those cute little mini guys, but am not sure I'll make them often enough to justify buying the mini-cupcake pans.Are cupcakes (reg or mini-sized) something that you can bake in the cups only, without the cupcake pans? Or am I just being cheap?
"Tall" would be like this....http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2262717/peony-cakeI am making a graduation cake for my sister, and I want it very simple. I like this look better than the usual 2 layers I've done in the past.I've never baked nice, full cakes - they never quite come to the edge of the pan and dome over nicely. In addition to simply filling them more, I want to try another layer.I will probably use a few dowels and cardboard to separate the layers.thanks for...
I tried doing a search, but I am not finding what I need.I want a single tier with many layers - does that make sense (I dont' know if I'm using the cake jargon correctly - tier is probably the wrong word since it's just one cake).Is there a certain number of layers to use? Or is it bakers choice?Usually, I only make 2 layers and call it good, but this time I want a "tall" cake.Do you need any support in between? I will be using a 2" pans, 8" in diameter.Also, what is...
thank you!
Okay, I've been going through the recipes forum (whoa, there are some good ones!) and when someone posts a cake recipe, one of the first questions is "will this work for cupcakes"......why do ppl ask that? I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic here - but don't cake recipes work for cupcakes as well? Is there a certain ingredient(s) that work better for cupcakes? At first I thought that was a silly question, but there must be something to it.......can ya fill me...
I have a colorflow piece that I messed up on. Can you paint (with gel color) over the top of it? Or will the gel ruin the integrity of the piece?The piece is The Emperor from Star Wars - for my 6 yr old, so this is far from life or death, but the mistake bothers me.The part I want to paint over is a bit of his face - which should actually be the color of the inside of his hood. So, I was thinking I could simplly paint that part of the face black as it should be.Does...
the Cake Caddy - We've got what you need