Posts by Dayti

I don't usually make fruit cakes but have watched my Mum make them all my life at Christmas. I had to make one for a customer this Christmas - English fruit cake recipe. I usually make all my other cakes 4" tall. I baked in a 3.5" tall pan with a collar, and put a lot of mixture in, since it hardly rises. I ended up with just about 3" of cake only though. So I stuck it to a drum the same size, rather than a board...gained 0.5" there. I also added a fairly thick almond...
Dominic, I would just like to say that I had the pleasure of watching you at your stand at Cake International in Birmingham last year. Your products are fabulous and I bought an Onlay at the show after you demonstrated them - I had watched your videos before that but still wasn't convinced the Onlays would be quite so user friendly! I bought another couple since then and have used them a few times on my cakes, they are really great.   I admit I have stupidly bought a...
Do you have silver lustre dust, or just the airbrush silver? I asking because I think you could wait for the RI to dry, and with a flat brush held almost flat to the surface of your cake, glide over the dry RI with a powdered brush...might be worth a try.
I use PME/Fat Daddio's, others on here find they love Magic Line. Wilton...avoid, unless it is the Decorator Preferred range, which are better quality than the normal ones IMO.
Yes you can stick the strips to ganache, again with a little water - not too much or they will slide. I would put the water on the strips, rather than on the cake, so the fondant gets a little tacky. Only problem is you would have to cover the tops of the tiers in fondant anyway, unless you are going for a different look, and covering the entire cake with a layer of fondant means you don't need to be sooo careful about leaving any little gaps visible between the strips.
And make sure you line the layers back up properly if you are filling the cake! That would be easier on a square or oblong shaped cake. Does it HAVE to be round? Square or oblong would be sooo much easier I think, not having to curve all those sausages of cake or whatever is used into the batter...how to stop them sinking...I dunno, I have utmost respect for those who do surprise inside cakes, and I am sure they charge accordingly, so make sure you do too!
The video on the site won't play for me...what's the advantage of a clear plastic/acrylic scraper over a stainless one? Why the bevelled edge? I think the wear and tear might just mean it scratches easily...not that chunks of it will fall off. Might break if you drop it on the floor though I guess. I drop my stainless ones all the time...butterfingers!
Definitely use pans with straight edges, it will save you lots of hassle trimming them. Straight edge pans do not nest inside each other, that's the best way of finding out if they are straight!   Wet towel/baking strips...each to their own. I don't get much of a dome, if any (only on mud cakes and my carrot cakes), but I trim them all down anyway to level them and get the right size layers. 
They are huge...bigger than a Starbucks muffin and slightly more calories. They did offer various sizes though, it's not like they only sold the massive ones.Agree that it was likely poor management/shareholder demands, and that cupcakes will still be around for a veeery long time (well I hope so...I sell them to make a living...!)
I certainly don't agree with the opinion in the article that what people want now are cronuts!!! That was over before it even started...yuck.