Posts by Nevie

Thank you ladies. I did test the core and it was fine, so I am not going to rebake. I was not clear in my post, but I do wait until the cake is room temp before freezing. In the meantime, I lay the cake on a piece of wrap when I take it out of the pan and then gently drape with another piece to minimize moisture loss- not pulling tight, but pressing the two pieces together to make a seal . When they are cool, they go into the freezer for about an hour and then come out...
Sigh, it seems there is always something... I froze a 2 layer yellow cake last week. This is how: I wrapped lightly as soon as possible, but without handling the cake, then placed in freezer until firm, then wrapped tightly with several layers and immediately placed back in the freezer. It was fine when I put it in the freezer, but as it is thawing, I see the center is slightly sunken in- about 1/4 inch deep. Anyone have this happen? How can I avoid it in the future...
For the times when you just can't say "no" to a last minute order, consider charging a rush fee to compensate for the long and late hours you will have to work. I love decorating too and never want to turn down a cake, I can relate to your frustration.
There isn't one in stock at Michaels anywhere in my area. Oh well, good things some to those who wait... I guess I'll wait a little longer.
I'm no pro, but here's my two cents.I started decorating cakes in just the way you describe. I found a MMF recipe, baked a box mix and made a birthday cake for hubby. It turned out okay... not perfect for sure. But I was so thrilled about learning a new skill that I thought it looked pretty darn good! Only later did I realize how far I had to go... and still need to go. I'll post it in my pics for your amusement.If you want to do this, I say go for it. Be prepared to...
Are the $149-199 ones the mini or full size? My online JoAnn ad had the mini for that price, not the full size. I have read that they are difficult to use until you get the hang of it, so I want to be sure to buy it from someone who will take it back if necessary. Maybe I'll wait around and see what happens. Thanks for all the info!
I found the cricut cake bundle on costco's website for $299 including shipping, as far as I can tell, it is the same bundle hsn has for $399. It comes with extra blades, cleaner, mat, the regular cake cartridge and the elegant one, and a few other things that all seem standard. Plus they are an additional $20 off from 11/26 through 12/12. This is the best deal I have found, just wondering if anyone knows of a better price before I buy. Or if I am overlooking some...
I think anyone who is willing put themselves out there by baking and decorating a cake for someone else gets my respect. Scratch, doctored or box.Apologies if someone posted this tidbit already and I overlooked it, but did anyone see Alton Brown's show on Buttercream recently? He said something to the effect of "It's very difficult to make scratch cake that tastes as good as a mix." His explanation for this was that there are special ingredients in box mixes that are...
Thanks for all your help, K8memphis! I really wish I had thought of the fondant blob trick! I was so stressed about the cake collapsing, I did not give everything else the attention it deserved. I have passed your wonderful advice along to my friend.I also appreciate your kind words, I know a little crease in the fondant won't ruin the day for a 10 year old, but it sure bothers me. Have a blessed day!
Ok. How does one go about researching such a thing? The cake survived, it was not a picture of perfection, but that was due to fondant/frosting issues not the fact that the cake was eggless. I forgot my fondant smoother, which made a difficult batch of fondant even more tough to work with. I'll pass your info along to my friend, although, after this ordeal, I think she sees only cupcakes in his future. lolI'm linking to the photo, but it's in my photos if the link...