Posts by SweetBunny

Well, if we're talking about cake, it's hardly possible to avoid sugar. An occasional indulgence is permissible on a diet if planned for and exercise done to compensate for it, if you're tracking it that closely.
I think the problem has long been that our everyday foods contain too much bad things in small quantities - be it trans fat, high-fructose corn syrup, flavorings/colorings, you name it. We take it for granted, or have up until recently. Cumulatively we consume way more this way, I'd guess, than with the occasional all-out yummy indulgence of an occasional frosted and food-colored cake.   Honesty in labeling should be the key - no "per serving" bamboozlements, and...
You know how you've seen something a million times then when you go to find an example you can't locate one!? Here's a link to an example:  http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/ErieBAlcantara/media/FOODIE%20ME/SONJAsPEPPERMINTPATTY_zps07a54f6c.jpg.html?filters[term]=cupcake&filters[primary]=images&filters[featured_media]=1&sort=1&o=71     Here's a drawn version -...
So you're saying it's a "professional" vs. "amateur" look thing? If so, though, it must be still a switch from the old way, since I used to see bakery cupcakes iced to the edges and now they're more the "blob in the middle" style. I was thinking perhaps they were iced by machine instead of by hand. Then I see more "artisan" cupcakes iced that way too and I'm going "chicken or egg" - where did the trend originate?   To me, it doesn't add to the aesthetic appeal to...
I just don't get this whole bit of putting more icing in the middle and leaving bare cake around the edge of a cupcake. To me, it doesn't look as appealing, it would make the cake dry out quicker, and it's more awkward to eat. Does anyone know if the practice originally started with mass-produced cupcakes, or with designers who thought it looked better?   Granted, some say if you ice too close to the wrapper it's messy to eat. Okay, I can sort of agree there. A small...