Posts by idontknow

Hi all,   I'm making a friends wedding cake next month and they have settled on a design they want. It involves flowers, pillars and fondant drapes. I have attached their sketch of how they'd like it to look.   The flowers and pillars are fine. But I haven't done long drapes on a wedding cake before. And I was wondering if there are issues involved when they drape across pillars? I was planning on using 3" pillars, so not too high, and the cake tiers would be 4"...
hi all - just wanted to share my first wedding cake with you...I was so nervous in the run up to this, delivered on Good Friday, I was wondering what I'd got myself into and if I was really capable of doing it, but thankfully nothing went wrong! Drove an hour down the M25 with the bottom 12" tier in a box and strapped into the passenger seat next to me! I had pre-stacked the top two tiers and they sat in the footwell. I drove sooooo slowly! Lol...then took me 2 hours to...
Quick question for you experienced wedding cakers...my bride wants to use her own footed cake stand to display her 3 tier wedding cake. Its 12" across, but her bottom tier is 12 " so the cake itself will be on a board of 16". Will this work in terms of stability as long of course cake isn't moved after set yp? Should I advise against this? Can't seem to find a footed cake stand wider than 12" so should I tell her to use a regular stand to be on the safe side? Thanks!
Hiya,my bride wants to use her own footed cake stand to display her 3 tier wedding cake. Its 12" across, but her bottom tier is 12 " so the cake itself will be on a board of 16". Will this work in terms of stability as long of course cake isn't moved after set yp? Should I advise against this? Can't seem to find a footed cake stand wider than 12" so should I tell her to use a regular stand to be on the safe side? Thanks!
hiya,i just wanted to say that they don't look like poured fondant to me either. the fondant topped ones look like rolled out fondant circles sitting over domed cupcakes, and a couple are smoothed buttercream. so maybe you can get the same look without messing about with the poured fondant. as for the extra decorations, calculate how long all the necessary flowers, pearls etc would take to make in one sitting, ie 5 hours, or 10 etc and add the total of your hourly rate to...
another question!I've just received Mich Turner's masterclass book, and she advises two layers of icing for a smooth finish. now i can imagine yes with two layers of sugarpaste then yes you would get a smooth finish, but is this necessary? do all the pros do this? isnt that a lot of sugarpaste? do any of you use two layers of sugarpaste?
hi all,i'm wondering about wedding cake stands...i can only find the napier 14" stand in silver and gold here...the US has sooo many other nicer options like this http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tabletop-classics-ac-88516-ornate-nickel-plated-round-cake-stand-16/810AC88516.html?utm_source=NexTag&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=NexTag+Campaign. have any of you found nice stands available in the uk?the problem I'm having with the napier stands is that they are 14", and I'm...
I made a man u shirt cake for my brother (in my pics) and to make the logo and the badge i printed them out in the size i wanted, then placed a piece of grease free paper on top. i piped over the design using royal icing, and it turned out well, just make sure you do two of each design as RI is quite fragile so might break on handling. if you do this you'd want to do it asap to give it as much time to dry before moving it onto the cake - two days min.
try this delicious buttermilk cake by Smitten Kitchen, http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/raspberry-buttermilk-cake/ - so moist and yummy, it uses raspberries baked in.
hi lila, not sure where you are in the UK but i live close to Sugarshack in NW London but still buy most of my cake stuff online from a couple of big stores, cake-stuff.com and the cake decorating company, etc. you can buy ready made gumpaste, like the satin ice brand from those as well as try out different fondants. Sugarshack is great to browse in if you live close by?to be honest, using cake mixes is very rare in the UK, the supermarkets stock Betty Crocker mixes for a...