Posts by heartsnsync

I saw recently that Oriental Trading has some very reasonably priced.  They call them cupcake collars on their site. HTH
The best thing to do is to get your some Americolor Super Red .  With it you only need about 1 possibly 2 tsp. for a two layer 9" cake.  I am sorry I can't tell you the exact amounts because I always make large batches of red velvet.  
Kara, I subscribe to your blog and loved your post about this way of wiring.  I have a lot of gum paste flowers to make in the coming months so I will give it a try.  How I have been dong it in the past though is to take the fabric covered wire and work a very small ball of gum paste onto it I then use a brush and add a very small amount of gum glue to the wire and then place it on the cut out petal or leaf and then put it into my veining mold.  The pressure of the...
I don't know if it will help but for 4-packs of jumbo cupcakes I use 4-pack muffin clam cases.  I have had no trouble with there not being enough room to the top even with a generous swirl of butter cream and some decorations on top. HTH
For undecorated cupcakes I charge the same for wedding as I do for any other event.  I have two sizes - standard and jumbo.  Standard is the normal cupcake size and the gourmet is a jumbo about 30% larger.  Then, I have two pricing structures, one for no fillings and the other for gourmet fillings and toppings (i.e. chocolate truffle filling and ganache drizzle on top of the icing).  For a non-filled standard size cupcake I do those for $1.75 each, filled standard at...
I tell brides to make sure to add the top tier to the number of servings they want to have at the reception.  That top tier has to be baked and decorated just like all the other tiers - why should it be free? Sometimes, I give a "discount" and gift them the top tier but that is always at my discretion.
Yes, the see through wrap on the front is the wrap like used for gift baskets.  I have been able to find it at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 a roll which usually covers several cakes per roll - very economical.  All in all, using this method usually costs me less than $1.50 per customer delivery which is much cheaper than any specialty boxes or even regular boxes I have priced at suppliers. HTH
I use a light coat of shortening to knead my fondant and only use corn starch when I am ready to roll it out.  This helps keep the fondant from getting too dry and has eliminated the problems you mention. HTH
I get requests for life-like 3-D cakes often and have found it helpful to up front tell them that the price of a cake of that magnitude is based on the hours it takes to create not the number of servings.  I will direct them to a 3-D cake in my portfolio and tell them for instance, that cake was $$$. If meeting in person they sometimes will gasp and stammer and say, "I had no idea!" Sometimes they say, well it's what I want so let's price it out and we move...
I have been switching around with this issue myself.  I usually have different fillings in cakes in order to achieve a certain taste profile (like tiramisu or creme brulee, etc.). At first I did them like cupcakes with the two different fillings inside and the accompanying butter cream on top.  I jwas not satisfied and just did not think it was representative of how the cake would look at the wedding  since people are very visual.  How you market your product is...