Posts by heartsnsync

I have made several kinds of trees when the good old butter cream piped evergreen won't work. You can make them with wire stuck covered in 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant shaped and positioned to look like branches. The leaves can either be individually added on(I used a cutter for small leaves) or piped on or done with a topper molded to look like a tree top made out of RKT covered in fondant and stuck on the trunk.
Anybody? I have to to cutting for another wedding next weekend.
I provided cake cutting service at a wedding reception today. It is the first time I have done so as the caterers usually do this. I usually just drop off the cake and am out of there but today I returned several hours later for the cutting as a favor to the customer. My question is this, is there a secret in getting the cake dismantled and cut quickly? There was me cutting, one assistant handing me plates and one assistant taking plates to the guests and it took the three...
This would be a serious undertaking. I have a home based bakery and the most I have done so far has been for for two different events each providing 900 servings and they about killed me! I agree with most of the other posters. Plan a large 5 - 6 tier cake and then make up kitchen cakes for the rest of the servings. Even at that, you are going to have considerations of where to store all the eggs, butter, milk, flour, sugar, etc. I had to purchase another refrigerator for...
I price 3-D cakes differently than my other cakes as they are more time consuming and often require a bit more in way of structure and time for design planning. I do not price 3-D cakes per serving but rather according to the time estimated to create the cake, inclusion of costs, and a premium for my time because of the higher skill and stress involved. While a 3-D cake might only serve let's say 30 people you might have to charge the equivalent of $10.00 - $12.00 per...
I was so glad to find this thread as it helped me to fulfill an order I had for last weekend. They insisted on having a stucco effect cake with the only ornamentation being burlap flowers. I told them I would not do real burlap as it is not food safe. So, I made these Sugarveil burlap flowers instead. The customer loved it! Thanks again for being a lifesaver and enabling me to fill this cake order!
You could roll out some red mulch colored fondant very thin and let it sit over night to air dry. Then with a pastry cutter cut the now fairly dry fondant in very thin strips and then run the cutter through those to shred it. I made some hay in this manner and it was very effective. HTH
There could be many factors that could cause imperfections in the appearance of your fondant covered cake after it sits for awhile. So, without knowing all the steps you did in how you filled, frosted, and put on the fondant it would be hard to help you with that.   As for the boxing situation, I answered a post about that some months back. I use regular bakery boxes by altering them a bit and using clear plastic film. How I go about it is I figure out how tall my...
I recently had to make some English garden roses which were a bit like that for a wedding cake and was in the same spot as you not finding any tutuorials. I want to forewarn you, it takes a gazillion petals to make each flower and they are HEAVY! Make sure your wire is study and is well placed and glued into your base and then well dried for several days as it is going to have to hold a lot of weight as you add more and more petals and hang it to dry.   You begin to...
Oh, and regarding the mandarin orange flavor, you can squeeze out some canned mandarin oranges and add the dry pulp to your cake batter. You might need to adjust the baking soda to accommodate the additional acidity. I do not recommend adding canned mandarin oranges to a filling because it acts weird unless it is kept refrigerated. HTH