Posts by heartsnsync

For smaller tiers I bake two layers and torte. For larger tiers (12" and larger), I bake four thinner cakes. For one, I don't have to worry about the cake not getting done in the middle. Two, it bakes evenly and faster. Three, it cools faster. Four, I have less issues with the larger cake breaking when torting and layering them. Just my way of doing it. I am sure others have their methods that work just as well for them, too.
The problem is the buttercream will be much heavier than the whipped cream and gravity will take effect and could cause you some major issues. Personally, I would not take the chance,
I roll my fondant out with corn starch (as many do with powdered sugar) so adding a mist of water to the crusted butter cream cake is a must for fondant to stick. I do it all the time with no issues. Just make sure to not add too much water and if you do, lightly dab some of it back off before putting on the fondant. It needs to just be a light mist. I use a food safe misting water bottle and spray it right on. I then wipe up and mist from off of the parchment paper that...
I  make a lot of cupcakes for different events including university galas, school concerts, and weddings. I have made 350, 500, and 900 cupcakes for a single events and over the past several months have literally made over 3,000 cupcakes. That being said, I have tried freezing cupcakes and have trouble with the wrappers wanting to stay firmly adhered once they start to thaw not to mention becoming misshapen if they are not frozen carefully. They also take up a lot of...
I make large cupcake orders quite often (just in the last few months have literally made over 3,000). I use the full sheet cake boxes for large orders. I place non-skid sheets under the cupcakes and make sure to pack them in so that there is only a little room between them. Once all are in the box then fold up the sides around them and place your top on your box. If your full sheet cake box bottoms are heavy durable corrugated cardboard then you can stack them up to...
If you are using real lace you would have to have it adhered to something clear that could also adhere to the butter cream. That could be tricky. Have you thought of making some Sugarveil lace? That is easy to apply and no problem with the underlying colored buttercream  showing. Below is a picture of a cake I did recently using the Sugarveil.
If you go directly onto the Sugarveil website they list some vendors. It is not readily available in very many places, which is a shame. I have been speaking with my local cake supply shop and showing her what the product is all about. Hopefully she wills start carrying it soon so it will make it easier for me to order.
I get most of my orders weeks if not months in advance but occasionally I will get a frantic last minute request. If the amount due is over $50.00 (almost always is) and it is less than two weeks to the date, I have the customer pay using my Squareup account or Paypal with payment in transferred to my checking account before I will begin work. I tack on a surcharge of 5% to make up for the amount that is paid to those services so that I am not out any money for the urgency...
I have had three inquiries just this week for getting cupcakes instead of a celebration cake because they wanted to save money. I priced it out for them and every time it ended up being about the same once I added on the specialty liners, wrappers, and fondant toppers they wanted. And don't even get me started on the people that think you can do decorated cookies for cheap prices and want you to make up a decorated batch so they can see what they will look like.
I often combine luster dust with a bit of confectioner's and brush it onto my freshly covered fondant cakes. It leaves a very soft light overall sheen that barely shimmers. The advantage of doing it this way is it is very subtle. Brushing luster dust directly on can be a bit over powering and often does not go on evenly but mixing it with confectioner's sugar and brushing it on eliminated the problem.