Posts by heartsnsync

When I need thicker stems like for long stemmed gum paste roses, magnolias and the like I take 18 gauge fabric coated wire and begin to wrap it. I then add another wire and wrap those together. Then I add a third and then wrap all three together. I have a purse cake with a single red rose in my pictures if you want to see what it looks like with this method.
For those of you who say you put your MMF in the refrigerator to rest, I was wondering why you do that? The only ingredients in the MMF recipe I use are marshmallows, confectioner's sugar, shortening, flavorings, salt, and water. After kneading my MMF I cover it with a light sheen of shortening and place in a ziploc bag with all the air pressed out and leave it on the counter over night. Matter of fact, I do not refrigerator my MMF unless I am not going to use it within...
I have not made 300 but I have made 240. First, I had all my frostings and/or fillings prepared and first bagfuls ready and all my ingredients for the cake setting out at room temperature. Then for the cakes, I doubled the recipe. I don't like to bake more than 48 at at time anyway because in my home oven there begins to be too much steam if I bake more than that. Plus the recipe quality does not stay the same. I know that in the Cake Bible Rose Levy Beranbaum has a...
First, yes, Merckens is a brand of chocolate wafers that are easily melted. For 1 lb. of wafers I gently melt these - do not let them get hot only hot enough to melt the wafers. Matter of fact, they should only get to about luke warm to touch. Once the wafers are completely melted (no lumps left at all), add 1/3 c. corn syrup and stir until well blended and the mixture becomes stiff. Use a spatula to spread the mixture onto a wax paper lined flat dish. I leave mine...
I make my own using Mercken's wafers. It is very easy to make!
I wanted my cupcakes to also be more substantial but did not want to bake the true "jumbo" cupcakes because then that involved buying different equipment and more costly cupcake cases for delivery. What I found that works for me is to use cupcake liners that are 1 3/4" tall and 2 1/4" wide at the base. The standard cupcake liners are usually 1 1/4" tall and 2" wide at the base. My cupcake tins hold the 2" very easily but also seem to accommodate the 2 1/4" liners just...
I have a licensed, permitted and inspected home home bakery in NC and was told you could not have any pets inside the home...not even a fish! I believe I remember them saying that if you had pets in your home then you would have to get permitting through zoning and build a separate kitchen apart from your home that pets are never allowed into. For many people that is not a realistic option due to cost.The other alternative is to share a commercial kitchen. There are...
I have this software, too and it was very easy to use. It is really helping me keep organized so I think it is well worth the investment.
I use gum paste, fondant, and modeling chocolate. As some others have said what seems to work best for creating figures or using molds seems to be a 50/50 mix between fondant and modeling chocolate. You have the extended work time that comes from using modeling chocolate but less of the greasiness when you handle it. Now, for realistic flowers and leaves, gum paste is a must.
I have used the pudding, pineapple and whipped cream filling before, too and it is great. I tried adding pineapple to Rich's Bettercreme recently and it did not do quite as well. Not quite sure why.