Posts by heartsnsync

I found that using corn starch I could use less than with powdered sugar and as others have said it stopped the "elephant skin" thing.    For those who roll out with just shortening, 1) how do you keep the fondant from sticking to the rolling pin or catching and creasing and 2) how do you smooth it once it is on your cake without out a glide free surface that powdered sugar and/or corn starch allows? Just curious as I would love to do without all that powder mess, too!
In adding tylose to fondant for figure modeling, I usually begin by kneading in about a tablespoon's worth to a ball about the size of a baseball. Add more shortening to your hands and your kneading surface as you knead the tylose in so that it will not get too dry and will remain pliable. This is just a starting point as each type of fondant and your humidity and room temperature can also play roles in how much tylose it will take. What you are looking for is a stiffening...
I had some cake orders that really needed some details that using Sugarveil would fulfill. So, I made the investment back this spring and bought a couple of mats and some of the icing. There is a bit of a learning curve and you must follow the instructions to the T to get the right results. I am still fine tuning my way with it but am getting better all the time. It looks amazing and works just like they claim.   As for alternatives, I have been looking into trying "cake...
For drying wired flowers and leaves I use those shelf organizer racks that have the wire cross pieces and just hang my flowers and leaves upside down on those. You can fit a lot on just one of them and you can often find them at yard sales. I have four of them and when I am doing a large project they are often all in use. When not in use, they stack together to take up very little room. For non wired flowers and leaves I use heavy duty aluminum foil that I have doubled...
As Jason said, unless it is an original design, most images are copyrighted by somebody and you have to get their permission before use or purchase rights to the usage. Once that permission is obtained, you have two ways to go about it.   Edible Image printer and edible image inks:  If you are not going to use an edible image printer on a really regular basis then the ink in it often dries up and it becomes problematic.   Find a company that will print the edible...
I know of this recipe:   http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes/TraditionalCreamCheeseFrosting.aspx   I make one with even less cream cheese than that to agree to my state's laws and supplement the cream cheese flavor with Lorann Oil's "cheesecake" extract.
These immediately come to my mind:   A smooth non-stick mat to roll the gumpaste on A small smooth roller A gum paste storage board A good set of basic gum paste modeling tools A good basic set of flower cutters Leaf veiner Fabric coated floral wires in various gauges and in green and white Moss green and white floral tape A selection of stamens Nitrile or like gloves for protecting hands when coloring gum paste or dusting flowers
I purchased a real guitar stand for less than $10.00 at a local music store. It held the cake weight with the MDF base and everything perfectly fine. There is one detail that I had to add and that was a rectangular piece of black painted MDF to place on the "arms" at the bottom of the guitar stand in order to create a platform for placing the cake. Also, at the very bottom of my cake base was a platform that I covered in fondant, too so that I knew there would be a hard...
You could try modeling chocolate and see if that is an acceptable go between poured chocolate and fondant. Basically, as you probably know, modeling chocolate is pretty much just seized up chocolate. See if it comes out of the mold. Let it air dry and it will harden quite a bit. It won't be shiny and glossy but you could dust it with some pearl dust. Sorry you are having so much trouble.
I don't know how to make the chocolate come out of this mold as you have tried everything I would have. Have you thought if you can't figure that out to try a mixture of modeling chocolate or modeling chocolate and fondant in the mold? That would be an option that would probably behave differently than the straight up chocolate. Sorry I can't be more help.