Posts by heartsnsync

I am going to give you a little bit different additional step. You make the panels by using stone impression mat and adding additional sections of "stones" by cutting portions out of impressed fondant. I have done this with great success in making stone floors so that you could not see the seam of where the panels joined. I just cut away the outside areas leaving a natural stone looking border and then cut out individual stones from a embossed panel in order to use to...
I make velvet cakes all the time in a variety of colors. The important factors in a velvet cake are your process of constructing the cake (i.e. creaming the butter and sugar properly, sifting the dry ingredients, incorporating the eggs one at a time, etc.) the butter, the cake flour, the buttermilk, and the baking soda and vinegar added at the end. A red velvet cake with the cocoa just has a little different nuance. Without it, it is still the smooth velvety cake. I would...
It is possible to do if cakes this way if one, you do not have very much buttercream underneath the fondant, and two, your cake is chilled enough to harden what buttercream there is there so that when you are smoothing you do not round the edges, three, your fondant is rolled fairly thin, and four, you are careful in smoothing and use two smoothers to make sure to keep the edges.   I have had success with the above steps enabling me in getting good edges when that was an...
I have a home based bakery in NC. There is a lot of information you can obtain from www.homebasedbaking.com regarding starting a home based bakery business. Then for licensing, there are some rules and procedures including an inspection by the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Here is a link: http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm   Then you have to find out if your local city and/or county government has additional rules and regulations (they...
It gets easier as your muscles develop....seriously! I shock people when they put their hand on my shoulder or upper arms and feel the muscles I have developed there. I tell them caking is not for wimps! 
Sorry to chime in on this from several days ago but I was busy, busy. This echoes a conversation I had with a lady today. Her sister has a home based bakery and apparently does a lot of business. She said she had been really busy last weekend for a wedding for 350 people. She did their wedding cake and groom's cake for a sum total of $375.00. I mean, really???? That is $1.00 a serving. There is no way that order was worth her time. Why do people do this? She has to be...
Tell the process of how you make your butter cream and the recipe and then we can try and help from there. Hard to tell from just what you posted what might be going wrong.
If the ganache is made at the appropriate consistency and if you cake is kept air conditioned, all should be well for a 30 minute delivery. Just make sure you do not add the topper details until you get there and that your car is very well cooled and that no sun can get on the cake in transit. I delivered a ganache covered cake just a few weeks ago in 90 degree whether. I followed the steps above and had no problems.
I would roll out white fondant the length and width to get the amount needed for the bow and the tails. Roll the fondant a bit thicker than you want the finished thickness to be. Roll out black fondant pretty thin. Cut out cow print odd shapes and apply with a light coating of gum glue to the white fondant. Carefully re-roll the now cow printed white fondant to the desired thinness. Cut out bow as usual.
Freezing and refrigerating do not achieve the same end with cakes I don't think. Freezing can assist in moisture retention because of the ice crystals that are formed in the cake itself when frozen. You would not get that with refrigeration.   As for the Thursday timeline, that is when I fill and frost cakes for Saturday weddings all the time so that I can have Friday to fondant and decorate. As long as your cakes are moist to begin with and you get the frosting on and...