Posts by CakesbyOma

Thank you for your suggestion! I phoned them but their prices are $5.60 and $6.10 per kg, which works out to be more than the retail price of BC or DH. Can't believe they charge that much! I know there is a place in Calgary that supplies this stuff but I can't remember the name. So frustrating when memory no longer works the way it used to.....
OK, going to all my friends here because I'm having no luck on the internet. Does anyone know of a supplier for cake mixes? I'm sick of paying the retail price for a box of Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker and I need to buy in bulk. Does anyone know of a supplier either in Alberta or that will ship to Alberta? Any help is appreciated!!
CookingKimber, couldn't have said it better myself! It's worth every penny when you see how well it works and just as important, how well it's made. I also tried to cut with a knife, but my cutting skills suck! Can't even cut a slice of bread straight! So the Agbay is worth every penny and then some, even if you are like me and just a hobby baker for friends and family. My fund raising method might be a bit unorthodox, but heh, I got the Agbay and it didn't cost me a cent!!
OK, I also hated my Wilton leveler, because after 10 cakes, it was as dull as the rear end of a cow!! But I'm a penny pinching Dutchwoman, who thinks twice before spending any money. But that Agbay looked tempting and the dollar was creeping up to almost par with the US, so this is what I did to get it...I started collecting pop cans, bottles and/or anything the Bottle depot would pay money for! Went to parks, along sidewalks and anywhere there were lots of garbage cans....
What is the measurement of "one stick of butter"? Here in Canada, butter is sold by the pound, so is one stick 1/4 or 1/2 lb of butter? Thanks for this, I'm going to try this. Never heard of this before I read it here.
OK Debby, at least I'm not the only one who can't get the cake to rise! Made the cake and custard exactly like the recipe states, (although it seems to call for a lot of custard and when my cake wouldn't rise, I thought there was a printing error) and the cake didn't rise at all! It was flat, heavy but very tasty. I couldn't eat very much but my dogs (Newfies) loved, loved, loved the cake! So what am I doing wrong? Temp was a little colder that 75 degrees, but...
I just had a cake order for a Type 1 diabetic for Christmas and after baking 3 rocks that landed in the garbage, this is what I did. She wanted a Lemon cake with Lemon filling, so I made a cake using 1/4 sugar and 3/4 Splenda. The lemon filling had only splenda. Because of the Splenda, the cake didn't rise by much, so I torted the cake, took the top, made cake crumbs and mixed it with the lemon filling. Then for icing, I made SMBC, with the instruction to the client, that...
Thank you, I'll check out the web site.
I'll be going to Vancouver over the long weekend in September and wonder if anyone knows of a good cake supply store there - other than Michael's. Where they have good cookie cutters, silicone impressions and other supplies so I don't have to order on line and pay all the duty, mail and other extra charges?
Are you talking about a Wilton colour as Americolor doesn't have burgundy or maroon?