Posts by gingoreilly

Thank you everyone so much! You all have such great suggestions. It is going to be very hard to decide which one I want to you use. But I have some time, since I won't be starting my side business until September 1st. Just want to come up with a name before then .Thanks again for your help!
Thank you Moovaughan and ame, those are great! It is going to be hard to decide
Hi everyone! I am making cakes on the side, and I want to come up with a name. Currently, I am using Ginger's Cakes (boring). I wanted to come up with something a little more creative, but everyone said I should use my name in it. Any suggestions will be really helpful. These are what my friends have suggested:Ginger Bread CakesGinger SnapsGinger and SpiceCakes, Sugar and Spice by GingerGinger Snap's Treats, Sweet and Other EatsGinger's Baked CreationsGingerly...
Hi Everyone! I need your help. This is the very first time for me to do a wedding cake. I have been decorating for about 5 years, but always turned down wedding cakes, because they make me really nervous. This cake is going to be for my best friend's sister and need help on pricing. I am going to make a three tiered wedding cake. 14 inch, 10 inch, and 6 inch. It will be lavendar and white and decorated in scroll work. I will probably be adding some gumpaste flowers...
ha ha! That is funny about the cat!Thanks everyone for your quick responses!
Ok, I was asked to do a cake for a coworker and friend who will be leaving the company tomorrow. It is kind of a cake that she has been wanting to leave for a long time (just not getting along with the boss who is also head of the company) and just finally got the opportunity to leave. I am trying to do something tasteful but also something kind of funny, but not offending the boss. So we came up with this idea. I made a birdcage out of fondant and painted it gold. I...
Thank you Brenda. I figured it was the crisco too. But I also think the butter is messing things up as well. I am just going to have to play with my frosting before taking any more requests.Thanks again for your help!
I am about to go crazy! I live in Dallas area where it gets really hot in the summer and it seems like all my cakes are melting. They look fine in the house and then I put them in the car, take them to my destination and they are cracked and the frosting is sliding down! I am so frustrated. I am lucky, most my customers are my friends and family, but still! Uggh. Do you think it is my buttercream? I use half butter/half crisco. Should I just use all crisco? And...
I frost at room temperature. I work full time, so I usually bake one night, then I will frost the next night. As far as the boards, I use the cardboard boards from the cake store, but I double the boards for a single cake and I triple them for a two tier.
I need some help please. The last two or three cakes I have done, I keep getting cracks in the frosting. They are fine when I put them in the car, but once I get to the destination, I notice there is a crack in the frosting, going around the cake. Is it the heat? I live in the Dallas area, and yest it gets hot, but it is just the beginning of the summer so I am worried, it will get worse. Also, could it be the fondant decorations that may be too heavy and pulling it...