Posts by Apti

leeann34~~Welcome to the forum!    The execution of both of your cakes above show great promise.  Be proud of your first work and save those pictures.   Think of cake decorating as a skill that comes with time and practice and knowledge, just like oil painting.    Did you think you could get a set of $100 paintbrushes and paint at a craft store, watch a few videos and then create a fabulous oil painting that had depth and perspective and glorious perfection?  Nope.  Most...
It will work fine under fondant.   Since the Indydebi recipe does not contain any real butter, there is no need to refrigerate the cake or frosting unless you have other perishable ingredients in the filling.
Been using them for years, even before caking.   A long time ago I read that using plastic wrap in the microwave imparted some chemicals to the food so I started using wax paper or paper towels to cover the nuked items while they were in the nuker.  My sister purchased a huge box of the waxed paper squares for my birthday about 8 years ago and I haven't been able to survive without them. 
What a shame about the camera/photos loss.  Those are nice cakes.
OP~~What a refreshing post!   I wish you well in your cake endeavor.   I hobby bake, but was involved in medical equipment sales for chronic pain patients and then with severely disabled children.  The joy of caking is a wonderful antidote to the concern of  "taking work home with you".    I am blessed with sufficient income to be able to spend money on my hobby and give away my cakes and chocolates.   I hope you are able to find the niche that will make you happy.  I...
Add the DRY pudding mix mix (with nothing added) to your DRY cake mix, then add the other ingredients.
Here are some examples of 10/6 and 10/8 look.   Scroll through both pages and you will see different examples.   http://foodservices.appstate.edu/special-occasions/weddings/wedding-cakes
Re:  Bunny's Mock Shack   It doesn't taste like almond, but the mix imparts a lovely flavor.  I have a 5 qt Kitchenaid artisan, and a recipe fills it up nicely.    It is wonderful to work with for piping and decorations.  Most of my cakes are made with the Mock Shack recipe.  Since I hobby bake and stuff doesn't have to be perfect, I rarely bother changing the consistency of the recipe for different piping work/flowers/borders, etc.  The exception is that I do add...
I've met about 5 people  from the cake world who have been on tv or who have been interviewed for tv--ALL of them say that the producers are looking for drama (real or not).  It's TV.    I also know a couple that was on another non-cake "reality" show.  All I could do was shake my head in disbelief between what I KNEW was the truth, and what was shown.   About 20% was true.   Frankly, I was embarrassed for everyone involved. 
@emetz74~~Happy to share!   Using plastic wrap is also a great way to "pre-measure" shortening or butter if you are going to freeze exact recipe amounts.   @trisha~~I'm not sure exactly what the Dream Whip does, but I surmise that it helps impart a "creamy" taste and texture.  I haven't tried a recipe without using it if Dream Whip is listed as an ingredient.   The recipes I provided were specifically for HOT & HUMID CONDITIONS.  If a cake is not going to be in an...