Posts by 88nikki88

I froze a baptism cake this winter that was covered in buttercream and MMF, and raspberry filled. The baptism was postponed due to weather. I double wrapped the cake in saran, then wrapped in foil. I set it in the coolest room in my basement overnight to thaw (still wrapped. Then left it on the kitchen counter for 2 hours to come to room temp before uncovering. It looked and tasted perfect. It's the Cross cake with the baby on it in my pics that says "God Bless Gabriel",...
I mixed mini chocolate chips in my peppermint buttercream for the filling of a chocolate mint cake, it was my DH's favorite cake EVER!
You're welcome, hope they turned out for you
I often use "nestle white chocolate morsels" (white chocolate chips) instead of candy melts, because I can pick them up at the grocery store. The ingredients are almost the same as the candy melts. 12 ounce bag to 1/3 cup corn syrup, and it works the same way
Yeah, that's how I felt on the inside, LOL. I always said I would NEVER try a wedding cake, because I was afraid I couldn't pull it off, and I KNEW I'd be getting in WAY over my head. But because I was kind of annoyed, I took the chance, figuring since it wasn't a "real" cake, it didn't matter if it turned out with leaning tiers and torn fondant, right? Saved me a TON of stressing, LOL. IndyDebi, I've been lurking on here a long time, and I always enjoy your posts, your...
I give you all a LOT of credit, I don't bake for money, but this stuff would drive me CRAZY! I really like baking cakes for friends and family, but I can't tell you how many times I've said no (well, OK, TRIED to say no, I'm a total sucker!) to family calling and asking me to make a cake with like 2 days notice for a party they're having. People have NO idea of the amount of work that goes into it.On the flip side of this, I myself tend to not realize just how much goes...
I had this problem with some 3-d flowers once and made a dome of MMF that matched the cake covering and propped them on it. Is it possible to roll a cylinder the same color as the cake cover and lay the mask over it so that it keeps it's shape, even if it's not hardened? I don't know what it looks like, so I don't know if it would show through or not.I'm not an expert, but I just had my own catastrophe over the weekend and wanted to chime in in case it would help Good luck!
Ok, I posted pics in the cake disasters album. Thank you both for the tips. I've never worked with RI, but sounds like maybe I should give it a try. Everyone seemed to enjoy the cake, and it got the point across anyway, but I still feel bad about how it turned out. I think it was by far the ugliest cake I've ever made.Well, I'm off to start reading RI tutorials
Ohhh! I like the stitching part, THANK YOU! So obvious, and never occurred to me. I don't know how professionals do it, I just make cakes for friends/family, and this is SO stressful, I almost forgot that I like doing it. I think I'm gonna be able to pipe a "pearl" necklace to hide her neck seam, and the rest is just as good as I can fix in the time I have!
Well that didn't work, and it won't upload to my album. I will try to post pics later, but I guess for now I better get back to work. I have a feeling that this is gonna be a learning experience . . .Basically she is laying on her stomach, and the front left 1/4 of her torso collapsed. I cut the wrecked fondant and cake off and rebuilt it as best I could. Now I'm re-covering with fondant and worried about joining the 2 sections. Thankfully her head was salvageable and I...