Posts by Shalott

Hmm, I tried adding less powdered sugar this last time -- and added it in very gradually -- only stopping once the stuff was no longer very sticky. Should I just let it stay sticky? I'm getting tired of the stuff I keep coming up with and am considering just giving up altogether!
I'm a hobbyist who uses marshmallow fondant because that's all I can afford. This past week my sister and I were working on a cake for my mother's birthday. Because my sister had a particularly difficult and busy week (moving, working, taking care of her infant), most of the work on the cake fell to myself. My sister had a little bit of leftover fondant from a cake she'd made recently so she gave it to me. I also had a little bit of leftover fondant, but whereas her...
So sorry to hear about this! Your family is in my prayers. I don't see how anyone could fail to understand.
Steplite, thanks so much for sharing Karen's Kitchen website with us! I just made the yellow cake recipe and it's delicious! One website I'm fond of is www.bakingbites.com -- it's actually a blog with some fantastic recipes!
This is what I use. It comes out super-moist:Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9x13 inch or 2 - 9 inch round pans Ingredients * 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour * 2 cups white sugar * 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder * 2 teaspoons baking soda * 1 teaspoon baking powder * 1 teaspoon salt * 2 eggs * 1 cup strong brewed coffee * 1 cup buttermilk * 1/2 cup vegetable oil * 1 teaspoon vanilla extractDirections 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees...
I thought I should add: There's a good possibility that the post-birth shower practice probably dates back to concern that the baby wouldn't make it.
Sorry, I missed some back-story too -- I didn't realise there was a toddler involved.I think when and how the shower is held must be regional. I'm [white Caucasian] from Canada and I grew up in India. My friends and family in both countries have always held the showers after the baby was born. The idea is that then we get to see the baby. People usually come to the hospital with newborn gifts as well to make sure that the parents are set for the first month of so of the...
Rose_N_Crantz, would you be willing to share your go-to scratch white cake recipe? The recipe I use for chocolate cake is called Black Magic Cake -- it works for me every time! I also have a carrot cake recipe I love, but I'm looking for those perfect white and lemon cake recipes. Red Velvet's never really done where I live.
I had never encountered pre-birth baby showers until a couple of years ago. Growing up, all the baby showers I attended took place post-birth. The very few pre-birth baby showers I have been to have all felt oddly incomplete without a cute baby to pass around and gawk over. All of that was to say that, if the couple wants the shower after the baby's born, saying "Happy birthday" might seem weird. It's still a baby shower -- even more so because now the baby's actually here...
I'm a terrible cake snob, to the extent that I feel guilty about it. I'm not a snob when it comes to decorating the thing, mainly because I'm not so great at decorating myself and only just began trying, but I'm a wretched snob when it comes to taste and texture. I definitely prefer homemade cakes to those out of a box, and I just don't understand people who always buy cakes and never make their own. Buying a cake occasionally makes sense (i.e. no time to make it...