Posts by augurey

Thanks KorkyAK!
Not sure if this is the right spot for this --How long should a cake iced in SMBC be set out prior to serving after being refrigerated?
Thank you so much for all your help Apti! I really appreciate it It definitely gives me a better picture of what I need to do. I just don't want to way over do it (not only wasted cake - though I'm sure it'd get sent home with people - but time and money in the ingredients) but I also don't want to not make enough.I'll definitely have more information once it gets a little closer, but if I have at least your suggestions, it gives me a reference point. For the sheet cakes,...
CWR41, the plates are 8" w/ 4 pillars.Apti, the separator plates are the 8" with 4 pillars. I will definitely be doing buttercream. So I figure that the top will have to be an 8" at the very least, but not sure if I should do a 12" or a 10" for the bottom (unless I did a 3 - which I'm leaning more towards 2).So, for the serving sizes doubling what is stated on the Wilton wedding chart, in order to serve 24 people, I'd want to go with Either 2 8" or one 12"? Just so I know...
These are the pillars I had been given: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31273E-475A-BAC0-53816B16CCB35E37&killnav=1 (Roman), 4 with 2 separator plates, so I'm assuming that these are the one with the internal supports (dowels?)?As for the flowers, I think I'm just going to be going with roses probably. I think of the vast variety, I think roses are my best bet.ETA: After looking at the wilton site, I see where they do it with the separator plates and...
In July I'm doing an anniversary cake for my boyfriend's grandparents.His aunt is expecting approximately 110-120 people (will provide better headcount later). However she said don't go by industry standards for serving sizes. She wants to be able to serve people large slices.She wants the main cake to be tiered (number of tiers to my discretion), using pillars that she had given me. Then she wants as many sheet cakes as needed for whatever the main cake doesn't serve.I...
Thanks for the link! I will have to try it out
I searched the recipe section for a scratch angel food cake recipe; however all recipes either were box mix only, no ratings or poor ratings.Does anyone have a recipe for scratch angel food cake?
I was going to attempt to do my first yellow scratch cake using Sylvia Weinstock's recipe.As an inexperienced scratch baker, the recipe looked very intimidating, mostly looking at how the egg whites needed to be added.But I ended up finding and using FromScratch's white/yellow cake recipe which was very easy and came out beautifully. I also received a lot of compliments on it (one coming from another baker)....
I think I used butter flavored shortening in one of the recipes I used last year (though none of my recipes were good last year - well, not great - as I grabbed random stuff off the internet without looking at reviews - boy I've learned a lot).I do think that the colder butter did help it from spreading a lot, and I bet that was the majority of my issues last year in most of my recipes.I know that the NFSC require 1-2 refrigeration which I'm sure is what helps the cut out...