Posts by teaparty

Indydeb: in all fairness I think my client/friend would have paid more had she any idea what she was getting and had I asked because she was truly amazed by the cake. After the party she said I seriously needed to increase my prices because she had a friend who insisted that she must have paid $100 for the cake (she wouldn't tell her friend how much she paid because I asked her not to).I sympathize with all newbies like myself, because it is difficult to figure out how...
I just recently did a cake and added up just the packaging and support materials and it came to about $17 for the drum, cake boards and cake box. Well I only charged $50 and after figuring out the cost of 2 recipes of cake, 2 recipes of MMF and 2 1/2 recipes of buttercream, I didn't make a darn thing for my time let alone profit. I call these instances my "learning promotion" because I'm new at this and learning as I go too. It's the Cinderell doll cake that I just...
Thanks Tesso, I've made my fondant dk violet so far using Wilton's gel colour (don't have Americolor). Haven't added the black yet, but from looking at it I think I may need just a touch of red.Question about Americolor: is it gel or liquid?
Use the Hershey's Collector's Cocoa Cake recipe found here. It's nice and moist and firm and the poster said it was good for carving.
I double wrap in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer bag with as much air taken out as possible. I also put them on a cake board after they are wrapped in plastic before I put them in the freezer bag so they don't get misshaped before they manage to freeze. I did this for my cousins wedding cake where the wedding was in Mexico, but the reception was here at home and I only had a couple of days to get the cake decorated. It worked really well.I wouldn't fill or...
Hi everyone, I have a project in which I want to colour fondant a dark eggplant colour. I was thinking of using violet and a touch of black, but would I also need a touch of red? Please let me know. Thanks.
More sugar and fat, darn! I guess no more eating an un-iced cupcake for breakfast and pretending it's just like eating a muffin. lolThanks for all the info. I've never tried to pass a muffin off for a cupcake, it was just something that had my curiosity going.
Truthfully, I have too many hobbies and not enough time. I generally get up at 6:30 and hop on CC for about 1/2 hour, then it's minding my DD, going to the gym, housework, taking a break at 3 to watch General Hospital and cross stitch, housework, dinner, walk the dogs, bedtime for DD, and finally free time which consists of cake decorating, or watching cake shows, or snuggling up with DH and watching a movie, or occassionally catching up on my scrapbooking.Wow, just about...
I use Satin Ice only for red and black, the rest of the time I use MMF. I prefer the taste of MMF because for some reason SI seems to have a very faint licorice taste that I'm not that fond of. The nice thing about MMF is that you can customize the flavour, sometime I use Creme Bouquet, other times vanilla and almond, etc. A batch generally takes me about 10-15 min. to make and yields about 23 oz. (Rhonda's Ultimate MMF Recipe) HTH
I'm a hobbiest and I'm continually on a diet, so I always send practice cakes to my DH's work with a tupperware container for him to bring a slice home for my DD. She gets upset if she doesn't get a piece and I can't send a cake with a slice taken out.