Posts by Rachel5370

The Maisie Fantaisie cake was beautiful. I am inspired now- what if something like that had some beautiful sugar flowers with some curly twigs and a few sugar butterflies perched on it? Even birds and nest? It has some definite decorating possibilities.
The Martha Stewart version was very pretty, but the one in the OP could use some improving. Maybe if someone used an Agbay and cut it into many thin, very even layers. That would help with the moisture issue too, because apricot gel can be brushed between each layer as well as the filling and then the cake would not be dry at all. Just think, 12- 1/4 inch layers with contrasting filling, tall tiers and some complimentary flowers- very pretty! I like simplicity, but it has...
Some companies will happily give permission for free or a small fee. Just call and ask- I have done it! It is, of course much better to get written permission to really CYA. Forget about Disney though- unless you are very rich and famous! And don't do Louis Vuitton anything! They go after people and will not give permission for reproducing their stuff in cake. And yes I know, we see them here all the time. I really hope no one loses everything they have over a cake!
IMBC and SMBC are potentially hazardous foods and are not supposed to be out for more than four hours. It does require refridgeration. It does not crust. It should be out for a little while before serving because refridgeration makes it hard and it tastes better when it warms up a bit. The hot syrup is thought to bring the egg whites up to temp- egg whites need to be 170 degrees to be "pastuerized". HTH!
No, there would not be an issue with that. If you have a shop though, buy commercial mixes in bulk- it's cheaper and less labor.
There was a pretty long detailed thread on this awhile back titled "warning about licensed characters" or something like that. I don't know how to paste it here and should remember the title because I started it! It was locked, I don't know why, but there is some good info there! ~Rachel
Since SMBC sometimes won't take gel colors well, I would think you would need to use fat based colors- you know like chocolate color or cocoa butter based color. I think you can airbrush with those, I believe I have seen chocolate artists airbrush with them. As for the sweating, it will do that and I would guess it would interfere with airbrushing. Maybe you can blot it with something that won't leave residue? It's the whole oil and water don't mix thing, ya know? It...
I have been a pastry chef before and just now really getting into decorating. Cakes that are undecorated can be pretty and appetizing, food in it's natural state and color is subconsciously appealing to humans, as are high contrast colors. I have seen some people remark about not wanting to eat cakes that don't look like cakes and have unnatural colors on them. My pastry instructor in culinary school was highly opposed to any colors that don't occur naturally in food being...
Sorry about the duplicates! I got a message saying it didn't post twice- so I tried again. It posted 3 times! oops
Hi, I would recommend getting one 20qt Hobart ($1500 to $2000 used) and two 6 qt Commercial grade (look for NSF label) Kitchenaids or smaller commercials mixers of another brand. Unless you are doing large batches of bread dough, you don't need the huge ones. You can fit a 10-12lb batch of icing or batter in the 20qt. That makes quite a bit of cake! Then if you need to flavor of color your icing, use the smaller mixers. Get extra bowls and attachments for more flexibility...