Posts by Rachel5370

I was recently looking into opening a shop too. I was looking at 2 spaces, one would have been more suitable for custom orders and the other for dine-in. I came up with $8000 in costs with only 1 full time person and no pay for myself. Your labor can be your biggest expense. I decided to keep my kitchen rental situation as well. Right now, I am not willing to put in 12 hour days, 7 days a week. I do still plan to get a shop, but my plan is to first build my business to the...
Like I said in a previous post, to me this is a friend I had in 5th grade and we were just goofy kids- that's how I think of her. I am just going to do something fall themed and pretty- nothing with any overt symbolism. Because of public perception and people in my life, I can't be associated with this belief system. I'm not even saying that with any judgement towards anyone. If no one is getting hurt- then who cares what other people believe? I know my friend isn't doing...
LOL, I somehow manage to start controversy unintentionally here. Another thread I started awhile back was locked- still not sure why! I guess people got a little snarky on that thread. I was really looking for ideas, but I think some of my emotion crept into the post by accident. It was just like I said, not a cake request I ever expected to get. I will post the cake, but it will probably be labled as a halloween or fall cake to avoid further controversy. It's for October...
I am certainly not scared of my friend! In 5th grade, we used to mix our food together on our lunch trays and then eat it in order to gross everyone else out! We even made up an imaginary civilization and wrote everything down in a book. Goofy kid stuff! Now she works for the Justice Center, has kids and is a very happy, easy-going person. I don't mean to be close-minded, it's just not something I have encountered in person yet. If I do this cake, it's not something I can...
Thankyou, everyone for the input. I just went and searched it too. The holiday has many of the same traditions as Halloween, in fact- Halloween came from Samhain. It has many of the same symbols, pumpkins, gourds, apples, black cats, crows, bats, candles, cauldrons etc... It seems that I could make a cake that has a fall or Halloween theme and it would fit. If she asks me to do a pentagram or anything like that, I will tell her I'm not comfortable with it. I was thinking...
A friend of mine from Jr. High saw my cakes on Facebook and asked for a cake to celebrate Samhain, a wiccan holiday. I am stumped and a little unnerved to be honest. I am hoping it is similar to a Halloween cake or a fall theme, or something benign like that. I mean no offense to anyone who may subscribe to this set of beliefs, I am just very unfamiliar with it. Has anyone else done a cake like this? Does anyone have any ideas? Thankyou. ~Rachel
Butter is a dairy product, but I'm still not sure what the stance is on plain butter. If it's going into a recipe that's going to be cooked, then there's less worries. All of the common food pathogens are killed at 170 degrees (internal temp of the product-not the oven.) They don't require baked goods to be temperature controlled- frostings are a different story when they have dairy. The health dept is more concerned with products that have been mixed with other products...
You are probably right, but if you haven't already- run that recipe by your health dept. I assumed that same thing about one of my frosting recipes, but was still told to refridgerate a cake I had displayed to sell by the slice. They didn't look at my recipe- they just said if it has dairy- refridgerate it. I also experienced being told alot of different things depending on the inspector.
Hi! Sorry, but buttermilk needs to refridgerated just like cream cheese. ANY uncooked dairy product does. Health department says it can be out for up to four hours, and after that it has to brought to an internal temp of 40 degrees or below. It sounds yummy though- I love buttermilk! And sometimes cream cheese frosting is troublesome in certain applications, so that's a great idea for substitution anyway!
Debi, I read your blog and it just reinforces a lesson I learned the hard way. There is a member of my extended family whose premature baby died of SIDS in January, it was absolutely heart-wrenching for anyone who knows her to see her go through it. Shortly after the tragic death, she got engaged to the baby's father and they set their wedding date for the birthdate of the baby. I, of course, offered to do the cake for free. She said it would be a simple, casual wedding...