Posts by Rachel5370

Oops, just noticed Indydebi already addressed the same things I just did, lol. Smart lady! lol
Why a chest freezer? And a home model? You must have a more relaxed health department than we do. Everything must be commercial, NSF certified here. Anyway, back to the chest freezer- there are commercial freezers, coolers and combos that are horizontal, have doors on the front and are called "work-tops". They are a great space saver and good to put smaller, frequently used items in. And they are meant to be used for food prep. The defrost cycle doesn't last long enough...
"Perfect Puree" makes a delicious pomegranate concentrate. It's expensive, but you don't have to use much to get the flavor. You could use this to make a mousse filling (or any other straight pomegranate juice). A pomegranate juice could also be thickened with arrowroot and spead in a thin layer on the cake before you add the buttercream or other filling. Just don't try baking it in a white cake, the batter is a beautiful color and it has a nice taste, but it turns a...
Hi. I have preached on here previously about food safety and icing. I may have not been entirely correct, lol. I use SMBC and wanted to know once and for all what the guidelines were. I had a long conversation with my health inspector about my icing. She said butter is not considered a potentially hazardous food unless it is whipped. I said "well, it is certainly whipped in my icing recipe!". She said yes, but because of the sugar content (lowers water activity and...
I also remembered that when I was in culinary school the economy was pretty good. We still had quite a few former corporate types as students. They all said they were looking for a less stressful career. It made me laugh, because foodservice ranks high as one of the most stressful industries to work in. Being a chef is NOT stress-free! Baking and decorating is a little better because than being a line cook or chef- because of advance notice and longer times to meet...
I am grateful that it's illegal in Colorado to sell food made at home. I am sure that weeds out some potential competition. The rental kitchen I work out of has most of it's time slots full with people like me, just using one or two slots a week. My town didn't have many bakeries when I first started looking into opening a bakery. Now that these kitchens have opened up and are priced reasonably- there are a lot of bakers in my town. Most of them are not doing the same...
I will be making them tonight, i will let you know how it goes! If I forget, PM me in a couple days and I'll tell you all about it!
In my town, kids have to get a permit to have a lemonade stand or anything else like it. They have to sell on their own property, the permit has a very limited time span and there are some other rules too. BUT, the cool thing is- for kids the permit is free! It's just a way of regulating things for the safety of everyone. It's not a food license, that's not required, just a juvenile vendor's permit. There's no reason not to have kids get a permit, I'm sure it's free or...
I have talked to Kerry before, she's a very nice lady and makes herself very accessible too! She has very high standards and does not give compliments lightly though. She is a great person to learn from- we could all be better for it! !~Rachel
Chocolate cake with cherry pie- mmm! It would be like a black forest cake, well- sorta!