Posts by Rachel5370

I forgot to mention an important point- the festival hours are 6-9pm. Thanks.
Hi. I am going to have a tent along with 10 other food vendors at a festival in my town. Attendance at the festival is between 15,000 and 18,000. There will be an icecream tent, cotton candy and some of the other vendors offer desserts. I am planning to sell cupcakes (2 flavors) and one or two types of cookies. I don't want to make too little and sell out in the first 5 minutes and kick myself for the missed income- but I don't want to make too much either. I was thinking...
Thankyou for the input! I think I have it figured out now.
Can you tell me about your experience? The request I have is for a zipcode that does not have express mailing available. I have to come up with something that will last about 2 weeks and withstand desert heat. Help!!!
Thank you for the advice! I do have a great logo and sign, thanks to talented family and friends and people willing to barter. I know $100 is a small budget- I can probably spend more, I was hoping to hear what others have done with $100 that worked. I managed a restaurant where the owner had a marketing degree, but really dropped the ball in that area. He didn't even put up one sign until 6 months after opening! There were 3 other places for signs that he never took...
Hi, it's been awhile! I have been busy opening and running my new retail location. We have been in business for 2 months now. Business has steadily grown and I am now at the "break even" point, for which I am grateful only two months in. I think it's starting to level off a bit and maybe the "newness factor" is wearing off. It looks like it's time to advertise now. I have a small Facebook following and local mom's group that are loyal patrons. I am so grateful to them for...
Oh and here in Colorado at least- more fees do not equal more inspectors. We are so backlogged that an establishment can go 3 years without an inspection. If there is a complaint, then of course there is an inspection. Results are posted on a website, which is good overall. But say on the day of your inspection, someone leaves their coffee on a shelf above the prep table. Kinda yucky, I know, but an honest mistake that can happen to anyone. Well guess what? You just got a...
Jasonkraft- I was just saying that the lack of knowlege about food safety on the part of some people who would like to sell from home would create a need for more inspectors/inspections which would create a need for more government funding. I do see your point about more people=more fees. I think the fees and standards might need to be high- just like they are for commercial/legal bakers. Someone was saying something along the lines of the government just wanting a piece...
Ha ha, in Colorado pot is "legal" if you have a LICENSE!
Someone argued awhile back that the government is too big. I'm not saying it isn't BUT- if more states instituted cottage laws, the government would have to be even BIGGER! For every person that is educated about food safety there are 5 or 10 with little to no knowlege on the subject. It is not a matter of common sense and wiping the counters clean. It is way more complicated than that. I took a course on safety and sanitation in culinary school that was several months...