Posts by Rachel5370

Ha, let this new one pass and you will be singing a different tune. We have laws that are sufficient, just not enforced enough as the above poster said. We don't need more laws, we need more morality and integrity- laws are no substitute for that. People without integrity don't care about the law. The government loves to tell us what is best for us and violates the constitution all the time- in the name of "the common good". Did you hear about the legislators trying to...
I make a "background" for the toys which are usually purchased by the customer. I refuse to do licensed characters, and I have always managed to make the customer something they like. And yes, I have a "Hello Kitty" cake in my pics, that was for a close friend who I didn't charge. And yes I realize I could still get in trouble for it. It was a compromise I didn't feel entirely comfortable making, but I thought it utrned out cute, so I posted it here. I should probably take...
It will also make it where we can't post music videos, links or really anything on FB anymore. I understand if it's something someone is making money from, but this will affect non-commercial uses as well. This is yet another infringement on our lives that the government is trying to make.
I did the same exact thing a few weeks ago! I didn't notice until I was showing pictures to my daughter after I delivered the cake. I had the words written on fondant "clouds" on the cake board. I made a new one with the "h" in Birthday. called the customer and went back and fixed it before the party. I asked her if she noticed, she said she did but didn't want to say anything because the cake was so cute. I said "please tell me in the future!" . It makes me wonder if...
Duff's fondant is a chocolate based fondant- any chocolate based fondant will not dry out. I live in Colorado too, BTW. I mix Duff's or another chocolate based fondant with a regular fondant for covering cakes and most things, because it doesn't dry out and tastes better IMHO. But if you need something to dry out- it won't work.
Update by OP- It was good! Not earth-shatteringly good, but I would do it again for sure. I ended up baking less than planned, which worked out ok- because I had just a little bit left. I put the (boxed) cupcakes in the walk-in freezer and I plan to use them for marketing purposes on Monday. I hope the cake I made for the big group birthday plus all the cards and flyers we handed out bring in some more business. I was hoping to sell out completely, but I am happy with the...
Thanks Poki....and everyone! Update on the 27th! ~Rachel
Forgot to mention (brain is frazzled!),The booth is free, and as long as I have everything packaged/wrapped I don't have to pay for a temp food vendor license- my regular food license is fine. The city offered to loan me a tent. So my cost is the product to make the cupcakes etc and some flyers/coupons. It's still a lot of money for me- I figured it up today. I work out of a commercial kitchen with 40 people trying to use one walk-in freezer, so a lot of leftovers is a...
Cupcakes do well at farmer's markets here, I haven't done that yet, but my good friend sells $3-400 worth every week at the Farmer's Market in a much smaller town nearby. The last 2 Artwalks had 1000 people attend, and I sold to approximately 100 of them- in my tiny crappy space. That's what I based my number on- 10% of those in attendance will buy from me. artwalk was primarily adults, this festival will have alot of kids, not sure whether that's an advantage or...
When we have Artwalks in my town, I seem to get about 10-15% of those in attendance who buy from me. But that is only those who come in to our mini-mall and into my 14'x 14' retail space. I saw many turn away because I can only get 6-8 people in there comfortably at a time and it was crowded the whole time! I am thinking when I am on the street, it will be easier, more room for customers. I think 10% of those in attendance for this event is conservative. But- I just...