Posts by Julie_S

Here are some quotes about books and reading that I like:Some of them might be too long to put on a cake and some might not be understood by your kids depending on their age:When I got [my] library card, that was when my life began.~ Rita Mae Brown ~There are worse crimes than burning books.One of them is not reading them.~ Joseph Brodsky ~The more that you read,the more things you will know.The more that you learn,the more places you'll go.~ Dr. Seuss ~I am not a speed...
I found a youtube video of FBCT if anyone wants to see it and is confused about the process like I was.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2DZDuv9XA&feature=fvwWhat I didn't realize was that the side that you are working on as you pipe and fill in is actually the back of the finished image!I'm going to have to try this out just because I'm really curious to see how it's going to work!Julie
Hi again,Actually I have 2 questions:1. I just read over the instructions for a FBCT which is listed here:http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer I don't understand step #7 where it says to "smooth the back". How you can smooth the back of the paper that you've just piped icing on?If you pick up the paper and turn it over, won't the icing be all smudged? This makes no sense to me.2. What is the Melvira method of smoothing icing as...
Hi,I have posted a sample cake I did the other day. Lots of problems with this, as you can see from the picture below - hat not on her head, body distorted, shoes are messed up plus the placement of the witch is not where it should be - etc. etc. etc.. I drew the picture on paper first, but drawing it on icing was difficult. I had a hard time drawing with the toothpick and once I have drawn the picture, when it is time to go back and outline with black icing, I cannot...
Hi again,Somebody please tell me if the method I'm using is going to produce the results I'm after. I've been trying to do this just about all day and I'm driving myself nuts!I think I may have misunderstood the outcome of using vodka and gel coloring to paint on a cake. I originally thought you could use this method to get a soft background color on a white cake like you would get using an airbrush. I don't have an airbrush machine at home so I thought I was going to be...
The only way I know how to make a mum is to first make a mound on the flower nail. The easiest way is to use a fully rounded coupler. Then using tip 81 (I think 79 and 80 might do it also), start at the bottom of the mound, squeeze and pull up at a 45 degree angle. Go all around the bottom doing this. Then come up higher on the mound and repeat - around around. Repeat until you get to the top.Here are the instructions from...
TexasSugar,No, I don't mean the shells. When I say "scallops", I'm talking about the curvey things that go around the cake but only on the top. Not the 4 loopy things on each point, but rather the "C" shapes that go around the top of the cake. On the long sides there are 6 of them and on the short sides there are 3 of them. As I said, I used to do these a lot where I worked, but they didn't come out this precisely placed. I don't know. Every one of my cakes sold, so I...
[quote="TexasSugar"]When you say scallops are you talking about the shell (on bottom) and reverse shell (on top) borders?TexasSugar,No, I don't mean the shells. When I say "scallops", I'm talking about the curvey things that go around the cake but only on the top. Not the 4 loopy things on each point, but rather the "C" shapes that go around the top of the cake. On the long sides there are 6 of them and on the short sides there are 3 of them. As I said, I used to do...
cylstrial,How can one put something like a cake dummy in the dishwashwer without it disintegrating? The kind I got are like pressed white material. Are there more solid kinds of dummies? I would love to see plastic hard dummies.Hermione