Posts by Julie_S

Geechigirl,These are sensational. I have another question if you don't mind about your Bratz, Lacrosse, and red car cakes. Are those Frozen buttercream transfers? If they are, how do you get them to lie flat on the cake and not like a raised plaque?Thank you,Julie
Everyone's cake photos here are wonderful. The photography looks professional. I have photos of my cakes but I used a disposable camera and the pics do not look good. At this point, if I'm going to take any pics, I might as well have good photography or what's the point?Do you guys always take your pics of your cakes in the same place? Inside or outside? And digital cameras? I'm going to have to invest in one at this point but I don't know which one to get or how much to...
"A little before bed" - that's sooooo funny! Thanks for the laugh!Julie
apetricek,I'm confused. Are you responding to my response to KayMc? She stated that she didn't think you could decorate with the stuff bought from the grocery store (I think she was talking about the Betty Crocker stuff). I clarified to her that I when I said "grocery store" I meant the icing you can buy from the bakery department - the stuff they use to decorate their cakes. As an aside I mentioned that if you don't mind the taste you can decorate with Betty Crocker if...
I don't mean the Betty Crocker stuff in the can in the baking aisle. When I said "buying it from the grocery store" I mean buying the bakery department's icing that they use to ice their cakes. This may be icing they make from scratch or it could be a huge block that comes in (from a company like H.C. Brill) which they would mix with water in their huge Hobart type mixers.By the way, you definitely can decorate with canned icing - make roses, pipe borders, even write with...
I have tried popping gum in my mouth while decorating which works to some extent. I have a strong sugar urge whenever I even think of icing :---D I always get it on my hands and am trying to train myself to wipe it off with a paper towel. This is not a sanitary issue right now because I'm in practice mode only.
I realize that some of you may be making or buying icing in bulk. Do you make or buy your own. If you make, how much do you make at one time? If you buy, from where?OPTION A: If I want to buy from a grocery store, the least expensive I can find around here is $1.99 a pound. If I got a 4.5 pound bucket filled ,it would be $8.95 and that's about 9 cups of icing.OPTION B If I buy it the Wilton stuff in the 4.5 pound bucket and use the 50 percent coupon, it's $6.50. OPTION...
Did she mean that you were cheap for suggesting a cake with 50 servings or did she mean that she would come off as cheap as the host of the party with a 50 serving cake? She may have meant the latter but it's hard to tell. I hate it when somebody says something and you're taken off guard by your emotions so you don't ask for clarification and it bothers you later on.
It's when you take a drawing and trace it with outlining color in icing. Then you fill it in with appropriate colors. You put it in the freezer for a certain amount of time (some say 90 minutes), take it out, and then flip it over onto the top of a cake. Here's a youtube video so you can see it being done:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2DZDuv9XA&feature=PlayList&p=6A2B6BAAE1E094AC&playnext_from=PL&index=27
I used #5 to fill in. I'd like to not go higher than that (bigger) because I don't have multiple tips in one size - only a few and in many of the spots, anything bigger than #5 would have been too big because the space was small.Julie