Posts by JohnnyCakes1966

My experience with this type of cup is, if they don't fit snugly into your muffin pan, they will spread open and batter gets into the folds. If you buy some that are smaller than your muffin pan cups, I suggest pressing them along the bottom and sides so they fit snugly before adding batter.
I wouldn't worry that she might say she made her own wedding cake.....She could do that even if you decorated it. People do it all the time (ie steal someone's cake photos and claim the work as their own). Not saying whether you should or shouldn't do it....just saying this wouldn't factor into my decision.
I don't think the top tiers fell off like a tree falls (top first), which would have made it land as you describe. I think they slid off starting at the bottom, which would cause them to end up in this position. Still, it's strange that in the 1st and 2nd pics, the cake is on the same table, which even looks to be in the same spot. And that must have been a huge layer of "repair" cake to replace nearly half of that tier...unless they used some of the cake on the floor....
No more shows for me, either. But for those who want to do them, I highly recommend that YOU get the names and contact info of the brides who stop by your booth. That way, you can call them to set up a private tasting, etc, after the show. If the wedding is in a year, put it on your calendar to call them in a few months. Handing them a card and hoping they'll call you gives you absolutely no control of the sale.Someone else suggested hosting a tasting for wedding planners...
I'd also like to know your tweaks, please.
Ditto for me. Scale/weigh all the way! No more scraping butter, sour cream, yogurt, etc out of a measuring cup....or washing the measuring cup between each ingredient. But I don't do it quite like some others have said, in that I don't put my mixer bowl on the scale and add directly to it. I use a separate bowl and weigh each ingredient by itself, then add to my mixer bowl. That way, if I measure out a little too much of something, I can easily remove it without removing...
I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so I don't know if any of this has been mentioned, but here's my 2 cents:I generally don't add alcohol to my batter as I find much of the flavor tends to bake out. Instead, I brush the alcohol (usually straight but as a simple syrup works too) on the cake/cupcakes (torte or poke holes so it seeps in), then add the alcohol to my buttercream.I add Maker's Mark to my chocolate buttercream. To. Die. For! I've also converted this...
Thank you!
It's an interesting topic and one that always returns varying answers. When I was looking into starting my business, I asked this question of my local tax office. Their response basically was, "If you repair someone's car and they give you some cash or return the gesture somehow, that doesn't mean you are now in business as a mechanic." As they explained it to me, if you promote yourself as a business or advertise your services in order to earn an income (of any amount) or...
So if I wanted to do cut-out flowers for cupcake decorations, modeling chocolate would hold up as well as fondant, but would be chewier, is that right? Let me ask it this way: Would it be like eating a chocolate candy bar (firm but quickly melts in your mouth) or like a Tootsie Roll (chewy)?mrslivvix - I love Tootsie Rolls, too....but I sure don't think I'd like one with cake crumbs mixed in.