Posts by MsGF

Not a bad job for a first try. The only thing I can say is Practice, Practice, Practice. there is no secret, just practice. Take a beginner decorating class, they give you tips and help. Check out this website, lots of helpful advice.http://www.wilton.com/decorating/decorating-basics/?lid=hp_promo&lpos=decorating101Good Job, and Good Luck. Keep at it and you will be pleased with your improvement, it is also lots of fun.Practice on cookies, even store bought. They...
I think you under charged by a fare bit. I would charge at least $80 -$90.But it is up to you really.Happy Baking
Write it on with edible marker. They come in lots of colors and the tips are fine enough to write tiny.HTH
That looks hand painted on. I do not believe that is the icing color. It is probably luster dust and vodka painted on. You can see that up close. Hope that helps.
You can buy colored gum paste. It really does exist. Here is link with an example:http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=6246&step=4I've not used it either. Usually color my own or do like the other posters, fondant & tylose.HTH
The cake looks great! This is how we learn. Don't be hard on yourself, we have all had days like that. I certainly know how frustrating it can get too. I've been in tears too. But hey the bright side is that family are the best guinea pigs. I "experiment" with new ideas and techniques with family all the time, hey that's what their for. They don't pay for the cakes anyway. So fair is fair. I just say it ain't pretty, we don't need a picture, but it IS yummy. You...
Your cupcakes work out to be $3.25 each. Reasonably priced I think. Considering the cookies, fondant bees and added honey. Very fair. I love Cake boss Software. I have it too.The 6" 2 layer fondant covered cake. I would charge $4.00 per serving. So about $48.00. If you charged $3.50 per serving it would still come out to $42.00. Both reasonable prices I think.People don't realize the work involved in each creation. I also think the Cake Boss Software clearly...
Most grocery stores have them in the baking isle. Health food stores carry them as well. You will usually fine them in a glass tube that has 2 or 3 vanilla beans in it.If all else fails you can order them online from Amazon.comHope that helps.
If each of your cake layers are 1 1/2 inches in height and you have two, after you tort, fill and ice the cakes the height will be fine. I guess you are aiming for a total finished cake height of 4 inches. So any where close to that is perfect. I only really worry about it when I do stacked cakes, for wedding or anniversary say. The tiers need to be even, I do 4 3/4" - 1" layers. But everyday cakes try for 3 1/2 to 4" inches total finished height.It will be great. ...
I do it like solascakes. I start with very dark chocolate buttercream, then add Americolor Super Black and it only takes a little to get a good deep black. And it tastes like chocolate.I actually keep the leftovers in a small container in the freezer. That way when I need just a little black for eyes or whatever I don't have to make it every time. And because I don't always have dark chocolate buttercream on hand.Good Luck!