Posts by Serena4016

I've only been decorating cakes for 9 months so I am definately not experienced at this....I have only been using Wilton because that is what I first learned to use and I can get it @ my local Micheal's store with a 50% off coupon, which makes the price fantastic!!! I do not think it tastes bad at all and it is quite easy to work with. I did buy some Satin Ice to try it but haven't used it yet (I tasted it and to be perfectly honest it didn't taste that much different or...
I have the Makins clay extruder (that's what you're talking about, right?). I love it. I watched Edna DeLaCruz (she has instructional videos on u tube under the name toneda1) and I actually ordered it from her web site...edna@designmeacake.com. She said she had used others and found the Makins to be the best /easiest to use. She makes beautiful cakes and obviously has years of experience, since I'm new at this I trusted her judgement and I'm glad I did!!
Oh, one more thing....I always measure the batter after I\\'ve mixed it so I know exactly how much I have from that mix and then divide it accordingly or make another mix if I need to.
Well,in the US, this is how it works.....the box mix comes with directions/ingredients for using the entire contents of the box. I have never divided a box mix up for fear the dry ingredients that are in it may not be equally distributed and alot of times they call for 3 eggs, which is a little tricky to divide!!. I make the whole mix which always makes approx. 4 1/2 cups-5 cups (sorry, don\\'t know equivalents for you) of batter. If I need 7 cups of batter I make 2 mixes...
Where is the best place to purchase Satin Ice at the best price? I have been using Wilton ( which by the way, I don't think tastes as terrible as everyone else seems to think) and always get it with my 50% off coupon @ Michael's. I was on line at GSA and couldn't believe how much more expensive the Satin Ice is (compared to Wilton). However....I'm willing to pay more for a better product because I want everything about my cakes to look and taste wonderful!!! So, I was...
Where is the best buy on Satin Ice?
Just brush a little vanilla extract on the back of the stars and GENTLY press onto buttercream. Works just like glue!
How do you make a candy shell for the giant cup cake?.... and how on earth do I highlight someone else's quote on this forum and write a response or question to it on the same post? (Iknow...not exactly relating to giant cupcakes. I'm new at this and having a litttle trouble navigating my way around!!)
Just did this a couple of weeks ago. I always use vanilla. Just brush it on the back of the fondant stripe, down the center and place on the cake. Works perfectly every time!!
My daughter and I just made one of these last week. They are NOT as easy as you would think!!! As stated previously, the top and bottom need to be cooked separately! I greased the bottom part put in 3 1/2 cups of batter, put water in the top part (remember being told somewhere to fill empty parts of pans with water) and baked @ 325 for approx 55 minutes. Oh, Also put a flower nail in the center with a tin foil extension added to it to help the center cook faster. Removed...