Posts by messy1

I am usually in the cookie section of this forum sight but I am trying to make cake/oreo/brownie pops for my twin granddaughters 6th birthday party. I have had pretty good luck with the cake and oreo ones but the brownie was really greasy. I just baked the brownie (fudgy directions) let cool slightly and cut into small squares. I took each square and rolled it into the ball. They were extremely greasy. Any suggestions on why this happened or if this is normal. I...
I had that problem when I started out until I found a post on how they do it. I make my piping bag with a stiffer consistency of icing, pipe the outline and immediately fill with the thinner icing that I have in a squeeze bottle. The icing melts into the dam and disappears. You cannot use a puffy cooking for this because the fill icing will run over the dam but a nice flat cookie works great. I am still practicing but every day I find new information on this sight and...
I do not add the dots when the glaze is wet. I know if I do that they will sink in like the "wet on wet" technique. I mean when I use dots on top of dry glaze for decorations. They dry with a sunken hole in the middle of some of them. I was wondering if maybe it is the consistency of the icing that makes a difference and if somebody has figured this out. Thanks.
I have always used glaze icing but when you use dots of the glaze for decorations it seems to always get air bubbles in it and sink in. Also when two lines cross over one another they seem to sink also. Does this happen with royal icing as well? I am thinking about trying the royal icing to see if I like it better or maybe just use it for dots. Just wondered if it also sinks in. Thanks.
I always worry about leaving my cookies laying out long enough to make sure they are dry because I think they will get stale. The last bunch I made the red on them was apparently not dry enough and when I froze them I put wax paper between the layers and it stuck to the red. What does everyone else put between their cookies to store? Is it the way I am letting them thaw? I do not open the Rubbermaid container until they are totally thawed and at room temperature so I...
Just got done making cookies using Karen's cookie dough and this Penny's recipe. I did not use the unbleached flour that it calls for (expensive and not sure I would make this again)...but I think the Penny's cookie recipe is a drier cookie than Karen's. Maybe I cooked them longer than I should have but I think right now I am sticking with Karen's.
Thanks....I found some fondant cutters in round shapes and the middle one seems to be the right size but I used my dough just 1/4" thick and I think that is too thin. I think the next time I try to make them I might roll the dough out to 1/2" thick. Just thought they were cute and would be fun to throw in bags for my grandchildren so I will keep trying.
I use an icing recipe of Karo corn syrup, milk and powder sugar. I am still new at this also so I use a #5 tip, which is large for most people but my icing seems to run over the piping if I do not use this size tip. I outline the cookie also and I read on here once that if you flood right away with the same color of icing you will not see the outline because it melts into the flood icing. It works great and once dry looks like one solid piece. Make sure when you move...
I am always looking for a new sugar cookie recipe. Right now I am using Karen's basic rolled cookie and my family likes it. Does Penny's cookies have much spread or rise? I find recipes that include baking powder usually raise and round on top which make decorating with a glace difficult because it runs off so badly. Anyone know? Thanks.
I freeze the icing all the time. I freeze the piping bags too. I take the tip off, cover the end with saran wrap and place the bags in a ziploc bag to be put in the freezer. I get them out and massage them when they have thawed and they are fine. The glace icing goes into tupperware and into the freezer. I take it out, thaw, stir and use alone or add it to the new batch if it is the same color. I have not had any problems with the taste. Of course, I just make...