Posts by ycknits

I cut rectangles of fondant. Fold over the very edges of the long edges of the rectangle and pin down with gumpaste glue.... kind of like putting a little rolled hem on a piece of fabric. This gives a lovely, finished edge and prevents tearing along the edges. Then I gently pull ends together, pleating it as I go to get gentle folds.Then I attach with melted candy melts. This gives me a much stronger bond that sets up much more quickly than glue. No need to "pin" the...
i use the buttercream recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. You can make a very dark buttercream simply by substituting Hershey's "special dark" cocoa for some or all of the regular cocoa. The recipe for buttercream is the same on both cans. You can also buy "black" cocoa from the King Arthur Flour company.
I like the petit four pourable icing recipe on the Martha Stewart website.
I make homemade custard-based icecream and share with my neighbors. I weigh my eggs, 8 oz of egg whites yields the equivalent of 8 yolks. I freeze them in 8 yolk batches in small freezer containers. Sometimes they are kind of solid after thawing, but I beat them up with the sugar for my ice cream and strain the custard before chilling to get out any solid/grainy bits. Works well.My recipe is:Beat 8 egg yolks with 1 cup sugar.Heat 2 cups milk. Slowly beat into yolk mixture...
Here's one that I did for my grown-up son, based on his off-road radio-controlled truck. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1797246I decided to make the truck from RKT for two reasons: it allowed me to make it ahead of time and then focus my attention on the cake and decorating details, and (2) it allowed him to keep and enjoy the truck after the party was over and the cake was gone. Eventually he had to toss it because they had fruit flys in the house and couldn't figure out...
I don't like using water.... have actually had liquid ooze out of bottom of cake from beneath fondant, even with a very light brushing with water. I prefer to use thinned down ( and sieved) apricot jam.... or slightly thinned corn syrup in a pinch. I've also heard that some folks used a little piping gel. Just what works best for me
I love Earlene's cake serving chart for figuring out this kind of problem.http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htmShe says a three layer (14" - 10" - 6") is 105 servings.She shows a 115 serving option that is 14 - 11 - 8 - 5.These options would give the bride a couple of things to consider and choose from.....
I'm loving mine. It's quiet, super easy to use, and easy to clean. But now I'm a little worried.... when some of you say... and then it broke.... will you please describe what you mean by "broke." Maybe if we know what to watch for we can do what we can to avoid it.... I'm hoping
I don't like to, but I have successfully frozen and thawed fully decorated cakes when necessary. When I know that I'm going to need to freeze, I anchor the cake (sitting on a cake circle) to another cake circle or board that is large enough to prevent all side decorations from hitting the side of the box. The put that into a box and close it up securely. Wrap the whole box (still at room temperature) with multiple layers of saran wrap. I probably end up with 6 to 8 layers....
When I'm adding lots of extra weight to the cake with draping and/or decorations, I add extra reinforcement to the cake. Always use bubble straws or dowels to reinforce each layer that is supporting another layer. If I'm adding draping or decorations to an exposed edge or corner of the cake that is not supported, I pre-form and dry a circle or square of fondant to place at the spot where the drape and/or decorations will be anchored. If the weight will be significant, I...