Posts by ycknits

For the raspberry, I use Solo Cake & Pastry filling, which comes in different flavors in 12 oz cans. It says to refrigerate after opening, but I don't worry about leaving it out at room temp overnight and until serving time the next day.... similar to pie filling, but tastes much better.
I have the same problem. So I sent an e-mail requesting information and received a response (within the week) with a link to the magazine. Unfortunately, it was a link to the FIRST download and not the second. I just don't have the time or energy to keep trying....
I love the impressions that crimpers make. I bought a set at my local cake supply store and use them lots.... more for trimming cake boards than the actual cakes. At first, they sort of intimidated me, but they're actually very quick and easy to use. Just make sure that you carefully mark the line around tha cake that you want to crimp before you start crimping. If it's not straight, you won't be able to change it
I use the Decorator Cream Cheese recipe on this site.http://cakecentral.com/recipe/decorator-cream-cheeseIt doesn't taste as good as some of the other cream cheese icings, but it is very good and firm enough to stand up to fondant.
I bought a Walnut Hollow clay extruder at Michael's. It has a screw mechanism and about two to three times the capacity of the trigger one. I threw my old one away because no one should put their hand through what it required! I believe there is another one out there called a Makins.... it looks identical to the Walnut Hollow extruder.When I'm extruding fondant, I soften it up alot by kneading in Crisco before I attempt to extrude.
A mound of flowers can also add alot of weight to the cake! I manage the weight by putting a cake board on the top of the top layer (after the fondant is applied) with bubble straws underneath it to support the extra weight. Then I coat a styrofoam half-ball, trimmed to the right shape and size, with melted chocolate to make it very smooth. I pound a sharpened dowel through the styrofoam and down through all layers of the cake into the foam core base or drum (because the...
If your daisies are already made, I'd make small gumpaste balls (green to match your leaves or other colors in the cake), flatten them on one side (to fit the bottom of the daisy), insert a wire into the rounded end, and then let them set up a bit. Before they're dry, use a bit of melted chocolate to attach them to the base of the daisy. Then cut a fondant caylx (sp?) for each flower, thin the petals, then slide it over the wire and over the fondant ball to cover it....
I did a horse head recently out of candy clay (Wilton's candy melt recipe) and made it about 1 1/2 weeks ahead of time (same logic on working ahead as you, and I was worried about whether or not I could achieve what I wanted the first time around). When it was time for final assembly, I thought that they candy clay had "dulled-down" or lost some of its lustre in places. I addressed this by putting a little Crisco on my finger tip and rubbing it over the surface. The...
When I'm doing a cake with lots of detail, I cut out a wax paper or parchment strip that is the width and length of what I need to cover on the cake. Then I either use old flowers that I have on hand or the first new ones that I've made to fill a small area, or patch, on the strip. I can use this small patch to figure out how many patches I need to cover the whole strip and, therefore, how many of each kind of flower I will need to cover the entire strip. I usually figure...
Congratulations on making it through your recent rocky patch. I hope that better days are in store for you!How about something with a sunrise.... to symbolize a new day? Here's a link to a fun fondant sun that I did for a beach cake.... got the idea from Cake Central, of course http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2094236/summer-fun?sub=2094239You could construct a miniature tiered cake in front a rising sun ..... new day for a cake lady All the best of luck to you!!