Posts by ycknits

I already have heavy vinyl that I use for covering my maple table when I'm doing craft work on it. I like the price, too, but I don't want to use because its not food grade. I'm a retired engineer and concerned about all the free monomer left in the vinyl.... nasty stuff. :>( And, also, I'd like a heavier mat that won't slip on the counter.My wood counter actually works very well with a little powdered sugar, but I'm also concerned that - even with intense scrubbing - it...
What about the Roul-Pat and/or Geraldine's fondant mats? Does anyone have experience with these? The Roul-Pat looks like it might be heavier and less inclined to slip, but it's coated fiberglass and I'm worried about pattern impressions.....
Ohhhh, your top tier and small blocks look SO nice :>) Thank you for your advise on thinner fondant. I will definitely do this next time. Is your 4" top tier a square? I've had much better luck covering small squares than small rounds.... maybe I should remember that when I'm planning a small cake!Thank you!!
I'm thinking that I will try the next one WITHOUT elevating. Maybe because the diameter of the cake is smaller, there is more pull on the center of the fondant caused by the rest of the fondant. In most cases, we have an extra 8+ inches of diameter of fondnant added to cover the sides of the cake - no matter what the diameter of the cake. So the ratio of top fondant to additional fondant is much smaller for the smaller cakes. So, if the side fondant is unsupported during...
I'm tempted to buy a silicon counter mat (24" x 30") that claims to offer no-stick rolling for fondant - without the use of powdered sugar/starch/etc. But its expensive ($50) and I sure don't want to buy unless it works. I would like a cleaner process for fondant rolling.... is this it? Thanks for your advise!
Oh, heavens.... I never thought about arm hair. Gross! Fortunately, I don't have much, but I will probably give my arms an extra 'brushing' with a terry towel when I wash :>)
Nope, I no longer flip my fondant. I use Jennifer Dontz's method of carefully sliding the rolled fondant sheet onto both of my arms and then carefully lifting over the cake.... rolled side up. Jennifer's video changed my approach entirely and now I have no problems..... except for not being able to get a perfectly bottom edge on my small tiers... 6" for example. I just posted a new topic posting on that subject. Thanks for your interest and help!
Just a quick followup report - I'm now rolling my fondant on my wooden chopping block counter, using lots of powdered sugar underneath the fondant and just enough on the top to keep it from sticking to my new marble rolling pin. This has been working great for me. I bought Jennifer Dontz's training videa and it changed the way that I do just about everything.... She is an awesome teacher and so skilled. I now crumb coat my cake, roll and cover my fondant, ice my cake with...
I'm happy with my fondant skills for larger cakes, but continue to have some bottom-edge distortion problems on my 6" and smaller tiers. I'm rolling my fondant large and thick enough, and elevating the cake to allow the fondant to "pull-down" over the cake, but still can't seem to get it perfectly smooth. I love to give 6" layer "personal" cakes as gifts so improving my technique to achieve a really polished, professional result is very important to me.I've found lots of...
Thank you to all of you! I will knead it into submission and then roll out on parchment paper with a light dusting of powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture. Stay tuned for a followup report :>)