Posts by ycknits

I have the Cricut cake and love it. I always add gumpaste or Tylose to my homemade MFF. I can tell when I've added enough by putting a piece of doctored fondant in the palm of one hand and then "smearing" it with the fingers on my other hand. If it kind of stretches, it's good to go. If it breaks apart or kind of crumbles, it needs more gumpaste or Tylose worked it. Then I roll a thin sheet, put that on my greased mat and roll it as thin as I can get it... so I can just...
I cover chocoate buttercream with white and/or light colored fondant all the time with no problems. I refrigerate the iced cake until the icing is firm. Then I sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top of the cake and on the counter around the cake. When I drop the fondant onto the cake, the buttercream is firm and the fondant slides easily on the counter while I'm shaping it to the cake. The light sprinkling of powdered sugar on the top of the cake prevents the...
I ask for:- favorite colors- interests and/or hobbies- party theme, invitations, decorating fabrics, nursery decor, etc.And, finally, I ask for a few words describing the recipient's "style" - contemporary, funky, vintage, organized, over-the-top, girly, frou-frou.... you get the idea. Then, for example, if I use flowers, I know whether to use formal looking roses, rolled roses, funky flowers, neat little daisies, etc. I always browse Cake Central and Flickr for ideas to...
I take my eggs out of the refrigerator as soon as I know I'm going to bake. Warm eggs separate much more readily than cold. Then I use an egg separator - only because it facilitates measuring the egg whites in the collection cup. And I always measure my egg whites. 8 egg whites equals one cup, except when it only takes seven!
Anyone?
I've been asked by a family member to make a glutin-free baby shower cake. My plans are to do a two tiered cake, covered with fondant and probably some molded characters. Typically, I would use a durable-doctored cake mix recipe that I know will stand up to heavy decorations.There are a number of GF recipes available, but I'm wondering if they're durable enough to stack and decorate with fondant. Any comments regarding this question and/or your tips for doing so will be...
This is so extremely annoying. I used to buy less than a dozen mixes a year... now as merely a hobby decorator, I go through dozens a month. When I only bought a few, I had no idea what they were "supposed" to cost and I certainly wouldn't have not purchased one because it was a little less or more in cost! Who does their marketing studies??? I used to be a die-hard BC fan. So I stopped buying them and switched to Duncan Hines. Now I will switch to Pillsbury! All we can do...
Use Hershey's dark cocoa or King Arthur's black cocoa in your recipes. I usually use a mixture of regular cocoa plus some of the darker.
I mix fondants all the time. Mostly, I use my homemade MFF. If I want it to be more firm - for a 3D cake, for example - I mix in about 1/4 Wilton's purchased fondant. The Wilton fondant doesn't taste so good, but it does firm things up. If my fondant is on the too-firm side, I mix in some that's softer.Just knead it all together really well until the mix is nice and smooth. If the fondant is too rigid too knead easily at the beginning, I pop it all in the microwave for...
In my opinion, fondant never tastes as good as real chocolate. It depends on how good your "rolling chocolate" tastes. I use fondant for decorating purposes, and for stability.... never because it tastes so good that everyone wants to eat it.