Posts by ycknits

Depends on the exact shade wanted, but - in addition to the pink - I add ivory or just a tiny, tiny touch of brown.
Rice Krispie treats, covered with melted chocolate, smoothed, covered with fondant. To suppor the weight of the figurine.... figure out where you want it positioned on the cake, mark the spot, and then add bubble draws or dowels into the cake under the figurine to support it. To make it really stable, make and harden/dry a decorative circle or shape to fit under the figurine. Then position this on the cake with THREE dowels or bubble straws to support it. Fasten this down...
I used to make MMF all the time. I liked the taste, but sometimes got in-consistent results from batch to batch - how firm, stretchiness, etc. I switched to MFF 18 months ago and love it! Totally made from scratch, including yummy ingredients like heavy cream and butter. It tastes the best of all the purchased and/or homemade fondants that I've tried - WAY better. And I get very consistent results batch-to-batch. I whip up two batches at a time, sometimes three. (In...
I frequently use petal dust in vodka to paint whatever I want to color. Another alternative that I also use frequently is to apply airbrush colors - undiluted- with an artists brush. I use Lucks Airbrush color that I get at my local cake decorating supply store. I have an airbrush and use it, but only infrequently because it's difficult - at least for me - to get really uniform color (and no drips). I wouldn't recommend the cans of spray color to anyone.... lots of work...
I totally agree with LeeBD. The Decorators Cream Cheese Icing is the BEST for decorating. Although it doesn't taste as decadent as what we think of as Cream Cheese icing, it has a very nice, pleasant taste with a light taste of cream cheese. Don't try piping the regular cream cheese icing.... its too soft and adding more PS to stiffen it up doesn't work.
Your customer was just plain wrong! When you get feedback that isn't constructive, doesn't fit what others have said to you, and - most importantly - what you know about your work and yourself, it's a "bad data point." In the human world, that means that there was something going on that you don't know about.... because, based on what you were told and know, it just doesn't make any sense. Throw that feedback out! Not only is it NOT constructive - it could point/push you...
In my humble opinion, it should be smoother.... and with just a little extra work you can get there. After you shape the RKT, roll/pack the cylinder as hard/tightly as you can. Then cover with a layer of melted candy melts (chocolate wafers). After the chocolate sets up completely, take a food planer/grater and shave off the peaks to make it as smooth as possible. Then add a second thin layer of melted chocolate. Do this a couple times to fill in all the pits and pockets...
I've messed around with a number of cream cheese buttercream recipes, and finally found the one on CC for Decorator's Cream Cheese Buttercream. It's now my standard. You might want to compare that to your standard buttercream recipe to get some direction. Good luck!
Definitely! I don't like to eat fondant, so I always put a generous layer of buttercream under my fondant so that people have some good old fashioned icing to eat with their cake When I use a European buttercream - whether Italian or Swiss - I ice the cake, smooth it as well as I can, and then refrigerate the iced cake until the icing is very firm. Then I do a final smoothing with a flat-edged sharp knife and then apply the fondant. It works great! Here's a link to a cake...
I make a lot of homemade ice cream and my husband's favorite flavor is vanilla. He's kind of a vanilla snob, in fact. So, after reading all the great comments on the specialty vanillas, I purchased some Nielsen-Massey vanilla and also vanilla bean paste. I was so excited to use the paste in a batch of ice cream. I asked my husband what he thought - without saying why I was asking = and he said it was okay, but the flavor was a little weird! I went on to try both the...