Posts by ycknits

Please know that most of us are concerned only with the content of your questions and/or responses. We understand that cake decorators are really busy people and, therefore, even tolerate occasional typos, forgotten and/or repeated words, and grammatical errors. I truly can't imagine being offended by someone's choice of letter style, font style, color style or just about anything else. This forum is about Cake, Cake, and Cake! Most of the people involved in Cake Central...
THANK YOU! This solves my major gripe with the new CC database. Don't know why I hadn't figured this out, but ??? So easy now that I know. Cake YOU very much!
One alternative to hi-ratio shortening is butter.... which contains NATURAL transfat, vs synthetic transfat. Most who have worked hard to eliminate transfat have done so by eliminating both hi-ratio shortening and butter. If you are not opposed to transfat, then try substituting a stick or two of butter to your recipe. My preference, using my favorite buttercream recipe, is 1 pound of butter plus 10 oz shortening plus 10 oz hi-ratio shortening.   You can also use...
To maintain sharp edges and corners on square cakes, I typically coat the entire cake (after filling and stacking) with a significant layer of chocolate ganache. After the ganache firms up, it really helps maintain the shape of the cake. I then coat with icing, chill to firm, and then apply the fondant. When I trim the bottom edge of the fondant, I leave a ring of fondant all around the cake and let it sit for an hour or so to allow the fondant to harden up. then I trim...
I always use pure cane sugars in my baking. One time I tried the 10x powdered sugar that Costco sells. It was a large bag, the price was great, and I'm almost always delighted with Costco products. I made one batch of my standared PS icing and threw the rest of the bag of PS away. As someone mentioned, the starch content of PS varies from brand to brand. The icing that I'd made was horribly grainy (despite the 10X) and it had a "paste-like" taste... I assume from the...
Recently, I made three batches of the MFF (2 Tbs version), in sequence, because I was doing a large wedding cake. (I settled on this recipe as the best made-from-scratch fondant a couple of years ago and it is my standard.)   I noticed that each of the three batches seemed to have a different level of "stiffness," even though I made them on the same day, same exact recipe, etc. I decided that I'd probably kind of blend them together when I used them. In the end, I...
At the risk of leaving the pack.....I LIKE the new gallery format! Because its broken down by 'save' category, it make it much easier and quicker for me to find older cake photos in my gallery. It's taking me awhile for it all to seem 'automatic', but for a major transition, I think you've done/are doing a great job!! Gotta go bake cakes :)
Ditto on the concerns regarding "my gallery." None of the photos are mine :(
Thank you, KoryAK! I freeze BC and fruit filled cakes all the time, but I guess I'm getting a little panicky about this big project and am obsessing over the details. I'll be okay once I can actually begin the baking and preparation work, but that's not until at least next week - so I'm reviewing and over-thinking all the details until then Bless you for giving me confidence!
I'm doing several sheet cakes and a large wedding cake for my son's wedding. I'd like to bake, fill, and stack the sheet cakes ahead of time. Can I fill with SMBC and then stack and freeze the sheets? or will the SMBC get funny (separate) when I defrost to finish icing?Also, can I fill with lemon curd and then freeze?I plan to defrost and do the final icing (SMBC) the day before the wedding.I know I've seen discussion on this before, but can't seem to find. Thanks so much...