Posts by ycknits

I airbrushed a cake navy blue this week and loved the look that I got. In this particular case, I was also the one to cut the cake. My hands are still blue and might be so all week :)) I advised everyone not to handle or eat the fondant, but I hate to have to do that.   Does anyone know a trick for setting the colors after airbrushing so that they won't rub off on everything that contacts the cake?   Thanks!
I have a request for a multi-tiered cake with one chocolate cake/peanut butter mousse and one salted caramel. I usually pair chocolate cake with salted caramel IMBC, but don't want to do two chocolate variations in the same cake. I could probably do a yellow or butter cake, or a caramel cake... but I want it to be special and really good. Does anyone have any suggestions for salted caramel pairings that they've found to be really popular? Thanks for your help!
I just posted a photo yesterday of a Ninja Turtle cake with a Pizza cake board.   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3183667/a/3450664/ninja-turtle-cake/   I did the following:   Colored a slab of fondant (most of a Wilton fondant block.... I like the Wilton for this kind of work because it's stiffer and more rigid than my homemade fondant) = made it a dark beige by adding a little brown and a little orange coloring. I did not add any tylose or gumtex to this because I...
I cut a fondant, gumpaste band the same width as the bling band and wrap it around the cake, attaching it with gumpaste glue. Then I attach the Bling band to the fondant band, also using gumpaste glue. This has worked really well for me.
I posted a recipe for sour cream white chocolate ganache awhile back. The sour cream definitely cuts the sweetness.... but it is still too sweet to suit me. But some people really like it. I guess it depends on individual preferences.
Try dropping your oven temperature by 25 degrees, in addition to using the wet strips.
I like the molds, but just okay. They're much stiffer than the high quality silicone molds that I love. This isn't a problem for the smaller figures, but it is if you're trying to de-mold a longer strip, and especially those with more detail, such as the wave mold. Because the molds are so stiff, it's difficult not to distort the end of the strip when removing. But, the pricing is very attractive, and I really like the selection of figures they've provided. All in all, I...
It looks to me like there may be a space between the exterior panels of the boxes and the cake inside. Perhaps the square cake is positioned on the board and then surrounded with a framework to which the dried fondant panels are attached. The dowels would be part of this framework and supporting structure. This would allow plenty of room for tiny LED lights between the cake and the fondant. My husband and his friend use these to add lighting to doll houses, signs, etc....
I absolutely love pink champagne cake; it's definitely one of my very favorites to make. I use pink champagne when making the cake and add just a drop of food coloring to the batter to give it a very pastel pink shade. When making a 'double' batch, there is still some champagne left. I very gently simmer this on the stove top until it is reduced and 'syrupy.' Then, after cooling, I add this to my favorite buttercream recipe, along with vanilla. The buttercream made this...
Just beautiful, Debbie! Thanks for the mini-tutorial. And, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :))