Posts by EvArt

Thank you thank you ladies for the tips. and thank you DarkChocolate, I look forward to trying your recipes.   I have a tip to share with you. I found this last year when making some basic sugar cookies and it's very helpful. Rather than using flour when rolling out your sugar cookies, use powder sugar instead. Using flour for 2nd and 3rd rolls often makes your cookies tough the more you have to roll them out. Powder sugar will keep your cookies light and crisp for every...
I can go to my old standby Betty Crocker recipe, but I'm looking for a really good tasting sugar cookie recipe that I can use with flooding icing. These will be for a Cookie Exchange party and they need to hold up well for packing in containers. I used "Grandma Betty's Sugar Cookies" a couple of years ago That I made some really pretty snowflakes out of, and that recipe is pretty good. Just wanting to know if someone has a fav recipe for me to try. And someone else...
I hadn't even thought of that one! Thanks ladies, I will try that.  
I know that not every one chooses this route but, I use the Duncan Hines cake mixes for my cakes and then doctor them with extra egg and instant pudding for extra moistness. However, my white cakes do not come out white because vanilla instant pudding has yellow coloring, and this weekend I need my white cake to be white so that I can color the mix a nice baby blue. Is there another plain pudding that has no color that I can replace the regular with? Another way that I...
I'm helping my daughter raise money by doing a drawing for cupcakes. My PT bought tickets and I teased him that if he ordered the cupcakes to share at work that I could put little physical therapy tools on them such as the exercise balls, bar bells, the bands, a few whips and chains....lol  
I absolutely love Costco's Vanilla Filling and their Buttercream icing. Does anyone know where I can get a recipe and have you tried it, does it taste like Costco's?? Because of Costco's buttercreams wonderful flavor and texture I started adding a little extra salt to my BC so that it cuts the "sweet" and everyone loves it. The only other thing I'd like is that it be a lighter consistency like Costco's frosting, Does anyone know how I can achieve that lighter consistency...
You are absolutely right Kristie. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd much rather have the fewer sales and have clients who "value" the edible art I create than to remain frustrated with those who are asking for that same edible art for free. I strive to make a cake that is as tastey as it is pretty to look at and in doing so I use quality ingredients. And I only want clients who understand that and want the same things I do in a cake.
Thanks for the feed back Jason!! I appreciate the input.  
I will tell you that if you do look at my portfolio, the blinged out wedding cake entitled "Jennifer", I made for a friend and only charged her $200. Not counting the diamond accents and the diamond mesh, which she ordered for me. And not taking into consideration the fact that we delivered it to Shaver Lake from Bakersfield CA.
All of you have been so very helpful. I love discussing this and it's giving me a little more confidence in my cake pricing. I've been underpricing myself horribly!! But part of that is due to being "self taught", not being a "professional", and working on the side from my home. And too, I'm wanting to make the cakes so badly that I end up under charging just so that I get the order. I just spent a couple of days reorganizing my cake photos in a portfolio on my...