Posts by l_rock

I'm hoping someone can help me and since no one understands a cake maker like a cake maker- i can't think of a better place to start. I've just got my new shop about 3 weeks ago and it is just about set up...... At first everything was so exciting,but after 3 weeks of painting,designing and organising -well lets just say i'm feeling a little over it and uninspired. I run a by appointment only cake shop - so this consult space is important,but everytime i think about...
If i use ganache,then i just use ganache to ice the cake including torting. Ganache is a very different texture to buttercream and it does become fairly firm. I usually use it with mud cake as they compliment each other. Ganache is basically a standard in the australian cake industry, so the firmness compared to buttercream isn't realy an issue. i find the ganache holds up better than buttercream in extreme weather (heat) and you don't have to worry as much about chilling...
Thank you so much for taking the time to help!
I've decided to take the plunge and show at a wedding expo.But having never done one ..or anything similar ...my brain is spinning with a tonne of questons.how many dummy cakes should i have? should i have a theme or show a cross section of the work i do?to have samples or not to have samples?if i have samples - are mini cupcakes ok?should i have an expression of interest doc or just a guest book to get client details?booth size - is bigger better?if you can help me with...
susanscakecreations i feel your pain - i think we all find out the hard way (at some stage) that moisture and fondant/sugar paste aren't friends... there is nothing worse than getting up the next day to see your hard work falling apart.i find there are two options - if you can put it back together.1. put it in your oven with just the light on - no heat! with the light on it it gets rid of the moisture and lets any sugar glue you might use dry/set.2.place the figure in a...
still waiting to hear from client - after leaving enough messages and emails to border on stalking. so i called the venue today to see if they could shed any light on the subject......turns out that she is doing the same thing with them. pulled the manager aside on the night claiming that the room was "not what she was expecting and would speak with him the next day to find out what he was going to do about it" then sent them an email claiming that the room wasn't what...
the cake was the "rose present" cake image. A sketch was provided to the client and she approved it. everything from the amount of flowers to the colours used were the clients choice. the only way the client would have had more say in the cake is to make it herself. i tried calling the client,but was unable to get hold of her. so i have sent an email to her advising that i'm sorry that she felt the cake wasn't what she was expecting and i would like to speak with her to...
I just got an email today from a client regarding a wedding cake that was delivered last night. the client claims that the cake didn't look like the discussed design,that she isn't happy and wants to know what i'm going to do about it. i had a delivery driver drop off the cake and they accepted delivery - the only comment they gave the driver was "its not exactly what we expected " but still accepted the cake delivery.the cake design we dicussed was a combination of 4...
so i'm living the dream - i have started my own cake business and i'm actually making money ( who would have thought ). but unless you count the unwavering support of my husband .. im doing this on my own,no shop full of staff,no minion to do my bidding... just me and a few delivery drivers. normally thats fine - but today i wake up and i feel like death warmed up....all i want to do is go back to bed...but i can't! i have obligations,people relying on me.....so onwards...
cai0311, i wish a packet mix was an option - but in Australia its nearly impossible to find a red velvet cake mix.Its not a very popular flavour here and most people have never had it. as a general rule i'm a scratch baker,but it would be nice to have a back-up option available