Posts by theonlynameleft

I cant remember .... but I can not tell a lie, it was a cheap one!
Did my first frozen buttercream transfer the other day. Made sure I popped the transfer in the freezer for a while after doing the black outline to give it time to firm up before I did more but the black outline beld colouring into the red (spiderman). What did I do wrong? I really love the look of this technique so would love to be able to master it so any advice would be much appreciated Thanks everybody
Just got my fancy acrylic, 8 tier wedding cupcake tower from the UK and I open it up and the protective coating has been missed off one side of all the tiers and every single tier is scratched and all scribbled on with permanent marker!... and it cost me $200 - I am so gutted. Have emailed so certainly hope they come to the party but do feel a bit vunerable being all the way over here in New Zealand.
I am pretty new to this cake decorating game - and although I have done a few cakes now this seems to be a common problem for me.When I put the fondant on the cake (pretty sure I have the thickness correct) I end up with these "cracky bits" going over the edges and around corner. What am I doing wrong & can you help me to avoid thise/repair it. Its very frustrating.I have just finished this peacock wedding cake & thought I would attach a pic so you can see what I am...
Anybody?????
I have 3 cakes to do this week, one being a 3 tiered cake with the top two tiers being carrot cake with a cream cheese filling.I have two kiddies under five and work full-time so to save myself some time on prep work for the week I have just filled the cakes, did a buttercream crumb coat and put in the freezer so that I could take them out and do all the fondant covering the night before pick-up.... I wanted to leave all this stage to the last minute so that the cream...
My theory is that you do the best you can with the information you have and if she isn't 100% happy then thats really her own fault. That is why it pays to always get orders with information so that you have that to fall back on as evidence of what you have been instructed.I always get the customer to supply their own ribbon because what they call "burgundy" for instance could be completely different to the shade that I would call burgundy. Maybe the bride is really laid...
This cake is giving me a headache - I did the 14 inch bottom layer and it was only about three inches - too small, so I made another layer to add to the bottom now it is 5 and a half inches which I thought was OK-ish cos tiers were tending to be on the taller side these days. But holy moly - covered it with buttercream crumbcoat and it looks huuuuuge! Now put my 10 inch and 6 inch tins on top to get a feel for how it will look when all together and feel it looks...
Hey kiwis - I buy all my supplies from KiwiCakes (www.kiwicakes.co.nz), their prices seem pretty good and the owner, Sandra, is really helpful. Otherwise I grab the odd thing at Spotlight but I am pretty limited in South Otago as we don't have any local supply shop so have to be super organised and get everything online. Also, at the kiwicakes website is the forum which is really awesome as its all New Zealanders talking about NZ stuff which is great Great idea though...
No topper at all unfortunately, I am thinking I might just do a third tier to try and balance it - she will probably be happy with a third tier if I tell her it needs it - I hope! Thanks for your help guys